when should you take your baby in for check ups ....is it necessary if they are not sick? and should you visit more often because of a heart murmor if the doctor isn't hugely concerned?

when should you take your baby to the doctor for check ups if they are up to date on immunizations

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dr always tells me when my kids next well child checkup is and I schedule accordingly. The visits are there to keep an eye on my son's development, weight, etc. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't take him when they recommend.

Answer by missanc at 2:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months.
    maybe 15 months, 18 months,
    2 years.

i would just remind the pedi about the murmer every check. just to make sure he listens extra close to the heart.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Just regular check ups,
    I know when Genevieve had the heart issues we had a special appointment once every 3 months. Other than that the Dr didn't worry about it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• For a normal child it is at every well child check up. Like DRMO said.

For my first born I was going into the doctors 1 time a week for the first year and a half because of her medical conditions. It just depends on you and your childrens needs with the doctor and how often your doctor wants you to come in, and then those times when he/she is sick and needs to be seen!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, sometime between 15 & 18 months,
    2 years, 4yrs. apparently there is a 3yr checkup i'd never heard of until someone on CM asked about it the other day, but they don't get any shots. my doc didn't mention anything about a 3yr chkup. the 9 month checkup is mainly just for those who aren't up to date on their shots. you don't even have to make one at 9 months if they are up to date.
    Anonymous

• my daughtter last doc visit was when she was 4 months she is almost 9 now! Since im doing delayed vaccination i dont feel the need to go unless she is sick
    Anonymous

• Ask your doctor! There are specific times when they want to see you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• If you are up to date on shots then it is once a year.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 4:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I have a family practitioner. He makes his suggestions and leaves it up to me. I don't believe in well checks especially at a pediatricians office which is a germ breeding ground. Frankly, if my husband wasn't such a worry worrel I wouldn't go to the practitioner unless there was a reason. I went the first month only because we had a homebirth and needed proof that the baby was mine so that required a physician to see the baby in the flesh--midwives don't count as as official here. I went to the four month just for a weight check to ease my husband's mind because he won't believe she's perfectly fine unless ab MD says so *sigh*. 6 month we are going only for the DTaP -- the only vaccination we are doing right now, though I'd rather wait until 9 months or a year.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2010