Working moms, how did you start your baby on rice cereal?

I'm breastfeeding and working full time. I usually feed my daughter in the morning and then she is given breast milk in bottles at daycare. Then I breast feed her once in the evening. I've been introducing rice cereal just a little bit before her evening feeding, but she is really starting to like it so I want to give it to her more. It is so hard to find time to do it when I'm working full time. What schedules worked for you?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we did it at "dinner time" but always after nursing
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm not sure why you only asked for working mom's advice. I gave rice cereal (you'll probably get a lot of responses here telling you it's not necessary & it isn't) for breakfast. I first mixed it with BM, but pumping got to be a chore for me so I started mixing it with water. If your baby is eating from a spoon well and not pushing it out with her tongue any more, then you can mix some rice cereal in some pureed fruit for breakfast. My DD loved rice cereal mixed with baby pears. If you accidentally make it too think just add a bit of water. I gave it with fruit for breakfast and gave it with BM in the evenings.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I was asking working mom's because of the scheduling, since we aren't with them in the day. Usually I breastfeed her in the morning and don't have time to then give her rice cereal. Always late to work as it is. Just looking for similar experiences and tips. First time mom here.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You may need to get up a bit earlier or take your showers before bed or even mix the cereal and then have your husband give it to her in the mornings. I have 3 children and felt that they did best with cereal at breakfast time. Giving it in the evenings made for really fussy nights here.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I didn't do rice cereal at all. But solids are solids. Nurse first give 'em after. Whenever you please. You don't need to do a set schedule. Just do whatever works for you.

I gave mashed banana after the first morning nursing, and then after the first nursing at the end of the work day.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Tell your daycare provider to give it to her for lunch. You can do it at dinner.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm not going to do rice cereal (blech...tastes horrid and there is so much iron it can constipate). Once my baby can sit unassisted (not quite there yet)...I'll be letting her experiment with table food. Food before one is just for fun and not nutrition so all calories are still going to come from breastmilk. I'm going to let her feed herself, play, and explore. NO stress.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm one of the ones that feels that infant cereal is useless and gross, but if you'd like to use it, why not have the day care provider offer some during the day?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 5:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2010