Do Angels have Free Will?

I always thought that was ONE of the main differences between us & them. Like it was one of the main sticking points 'in the beginning' was that we were given free will and this beautiful garden and Satan was jealous of the relationship his father now had with these 'new' children.

However in a recent conversation with some JW's who stop by my house - they say No; that's not correct and that Angels have just as much free will and choice as to if they want to follow God or not.

I'm now confused...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Check it out in your Bible, JWs are a cult, False Teaching. Their "bible" is published by the watchtower society, look inside the cover. My pastor said to ask them what they think about Jesus. see what the Bible says about Jesus Virgin born Son of God, Savior, etc. should be able to do a study on angels. I hope this helps. angels ministered to Jesus, angels came with a message for Abraham or Abram his name was changed.
    chevpam

Answer by chevpam at 3:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Of course angels have free will. Satan was the most beautiful of all the angels and he defied God and was cast out of heaven.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Yes but if he was cast out just for disobeying that's not really having free will is it? Having to follow orders blindly isn't free will or choice...

And while I'm not overly religious - I don't think JW's are a cult; a little different maybe (who doesn't like presents?); but not a cult...but everyone has their own opinions.
    Anonymous

• Just wanted to add that I'm not JW. I'm Baptist.

Bible.com explanation of Satan being cast from heaven.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• "Yes but if he was cast out just for disobeying that's not really having free will is it? Having to follow orders blindly isn't free will or choice"

Having consequences to our actions does not take away our free will. We give our children consequences for their actions all the time, but that does not take away their free will in the least.

Lucifer was cast out of heaven for hating God. He was extremely jealous of God and wanted His throne.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• satan being cast out of heaven was a consequence. he had free will and chose to not honor God, thus being thrown out of heaven. essentially he chose to leave heaven. we all have free will but if we chose not to follow God we chose not to go to heaven. i don't see this as a hard concept to grasp.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 3:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• oh, and JW are a cult by definition.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 3:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• At first glance I thought the title was "Do Angels have free Wii" LOLOL Where in the world did I put my glasses?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• JWs take the bible more seriously (literally) than other Christians do.
    Anonymous

• "oh, and JW are a cult by definition."

Uh, yeah, ALL religions are.

Cult: followers of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices

Anonymous