Fleas?!?!?!?!

Hi Mamas. I just moved into this apt like a month ago, and lately have noticed fleas. The previous tennent had tons of cats, so maybe that's where they are coming from. I have a prairie dog, but before we moved in he had no fleas. I check him all the time cause I hate the things. And he never goes outside. So where the H*ll did these things come from?!?!?!?! And how can I get rid of them? Is there a powder or something I can put down that won't hurt DD (16 months) or me? (I'm pregnant). Pretty much what can I do to get rid of them that's safe for all of us?

Sparta.

Asked by Sparta. at 3:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Pets

• I'd check with your vet, but usually Feline Revolution is the product of choice for smaller animals. It is extra label use, but is safe for you and your kids. You can only get it from a vet so you'd have to check with them anyway. I used it when I had rats and it was used for lice that they can get.

For area treatment, you may be able to use Frontline spray. This is also available from the vet and does not need a prescription like Revolution does. You may need to apply multiple treatments because nothing kills flea pupae, so read the label. And make sure to check with the vet whatever you use, even if you call an exterminator because some common flea treatments can be dangerous to exotic pets.

I'd also report the fleas to the complex as they have a responsibility for keeping them under control at least on the outside.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 9:43 AM on Mar. 13, 2010

• There is a medicine you can put on your pet that makes the fleas jump off. But then - watch out, they'll be all over you. I would call an exterminator. That's what we did.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Should blade flea medicine works good from vet -Advantage or Frontline. Also, our vet told us to buy flea collars and put them in our vacuum and vacuum very very well. That would work the very best if your vacuum has bags so any surviving fleas can't jump out of the bag as easy as any could jump out of a plastic canister vacuum.

Don't use furniture spray, that's toxic bad so are room flea bombs.

If you get either Advantage of Frontline from your vet and also put in flea collars into your vacuum that should clean up very very good. Keep it up for several months even all year. The vacuum flea collars can be changed for best strength about every 3 weeks.

We've had animals since forever and I'm very very allergic to them -one bite and the itch spreads so bad.

Hope things get better mommy!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE message me when you find something that works. We have FISH and when we moved into our home apparently the previous tenant had pets with fleas because we find them from time on the kids or ourselves. I have cleaned our carpets and they are still there! I am scared to use any bug bombs or anything because I am pregnant and due in just three weeks so I wouldn't have time to completely clean everything in the house to get rid of the chemicals. So, please tell me if someone gives you advice that works. = )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I dont have a vaccuum, it's a tiny apt so I just sweep the floors, so that won't help, but thank you for your advice! And I'm not sure I can put a flea collar on my prairie dog?
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 4:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• http://pest.tips.net/Pages/T003491_Kill_Fleas_in_Your_Home_with_Salt.html

Here, Sparta! Hope it helps, worked for me!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Thanks Matobe!
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 7:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• get night lights, and put a bowl of soapy water below it..when the fleas jump at the light, they'll hit the soapy water and drown. wash your dog in ivory brand soap, it'll rid and keep fleas away..both of those do actually work, and they're ALOT cheaper than powders and flea collars and stuff, and i would think a little less harmless. have you tried shampooing you carpet to see if that would help?
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2010

• The previous tenants cats probably had fleas and they left eggs in the carpet. Now the eggs are hatching and causing the problem. Pick up a package of flea bombs or flea foggers and follow the directions. Your family & pets will have to leave the house for a couple hours. It usually takes 2-3 times before you get all the fleas. The box should say how long to wait before bombing again. Good luck!
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 14, 2010