How do you make pot roast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'll tell you the truth on how I make it, lol. I go to Wal-Mart and they have a pot roast seasoning packet. It has all the seasonings and a bag to cook it in to keep it juicy, etc. Plus it comes with cooking directions. I'm not a chef so that's the best way for me. = ) Plus it's only a little over a dollar for the seasoning packet. = )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You can google recipes, but this is how I do it:

Preheat oven to 275.
    Take 2 or 3 carrots, wash (and peel, if you want), and lay them on the bottom of a roasting pan/baking dish, parallel to eachother (long-ways). This step is actually optional, but it will help keep the fat off the roast as it cooks.

Mix about 1/4 cup flour with pepper, garlic salt or whatever seasonings you want. Coat all sides of the roast with the seasoned flours, then brown it on all sides in a frying pan with a little oil.

Take the browned roast and put it on top of the carrots. Add a little liquid (broth, Coke, water..) to the bottom of the pan; cover and bake at 275 for about 3 hours. You can cook it faster at a higher temperature, but it probably won't be as tender.
    Anonymous

• I throw a roast in the crock pot, usually frozen. If it's super lean, I rub a little bit of olive oil over the outside. If it's fatty, I leave it be. I add minced or chopped onions (the dried ones), black pepper, put water in so it's about half an inch deep, and cook on low for at least 8 hours - longer if it's over 3 lbs. IF I want veggies in it, I throw them in about 4 hours before mealtime.
    Anonymous

• I throw it in the crockpot still frozen, using a packet of onion soup mix, zesty italian sald dressing, powdered ranch dressing, and a can of cream of mushroom soup.
    Its remarkable.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I make it two different ways depending on what we have a taste for. One has the potatoes, onion, celery and carrots in it and the other doesn't. Otherwise they are the same recipe. Just onion soup mix and water cooked either in the slow cooker or the oven. It's how my mom always made it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I do mine in the crock pot. I peel 4 whole potatoes and 5 carrots cut into 2" chunks. Put them in the bottom of the crock pot. Place the roast on top of them. Pour in 1 to 1.5 cups beef stock and pour a packet of lipton onion soup mix over the top of the roast and into the broth. cover tightly, cook on low 8-10 hours or high 5 hours.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2010