all boys/all girls classes

I may be relocating. I looked at the new public school's website. For 5th graders only, there is a separate class for girls and another class for boys. I'm not sure of this approach. Has anyone had this experience in a public school, or any thoughts on this? Did you like the set up? How did your child like it?

kitkabob

Asked by kitkabob at 3:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in

• it is around 5th grade that those hormones start to act up... goes on for some time.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it ... as long as they are being taught the same things.

Anonymous

• I'm a certified teacher. Some schools are doing separate boy and girl classes because a lot of research has shown that girls do not thrive in a classroom with boys. They are hesitant to answer questions and even more hesitant to ask questions if they don't understand with it. These same girls, if in a classroom without boys, are a lot quicker to speak up and so learn better.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm not going to be any help...our school is too small to do that...there's only one class for each grade...BUT my 1st grader's class in only girls, there just aren't any boys their age in our school, period, it just worked out that way. 7 little girls, for another 7+ years of school, before they go off to highschool and have bigger classes ;). I kind of like it. My 2nd grader's class is 2 boys and 2 girls. The girls, at this point, are challenging the boys - they're just smarter.
    Anonymous

• I think it is wonderful boys and girls learn differently and distract eachother.
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 9:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2010