Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal appeals court in San Francisco has ruled that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance is constitutional.

In a 2-1 ruling, the 9th U.S. Court of Appeals panel rejected arguments by Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow that the phrase violates the separation between church and state.

Newdow's previous lawsuit against the pledge in public schools reached the U.S. Supreme Court in 2004. But the high court said he didn't have the legal standing to make the challenge on behalf of his daughter.

So Newdow, who is a doctor and lawyer, filed a similar challenge on behalf of other parents who objected to their children being required to recite "under God."

In a separate ruling Thursday, the appeals court also upheld the use of the phrase "In God We Trust" on coins and currency.
-30-

One thing I find interesting is that the 9th Circuit has often been called "too liberal."

Asked by gdiamante at 3:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• objected to their children being required to recite "under God."

Is this actually required anywhere?  I went to school and my Jehovah's Witness friends would stand during the pledge, but never recite the words.  This was true in different school districts in different states.  I never attended any place that it was required.

Just curious. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It's not specifying which God, so I can understand the Courts ruling. It's not favoring a specific religious belief or God. I honestly just really don't care though. LOL It's such a non-issue to me.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• NO say it aint SO. NOT inSAN FRANSISCO...this kind of mentality ONLY exists in the wretched BIBLE BELT!!! Oh NO!

Interesting.   You know, technically it doesnt say WHICH god. Also I think that if you polled (and I am SURE its been done ;) MOST of the US would identify with believing in God. Maybe not under the same religion, and maybe not to the same extent, but I would bet MOST (and I am thinking in the 80-90% range) do.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Did anyone even actually care about what the pledge meant when they were in school? I know I didn't.
    We were taught to memorize it, then stand and say it every day. If there was a lesson in the meaning at some point, it didn't stick. It was completely meaningless to most of us. We just droned for a minute and then it was back to business...
    Anonymous

• One thing I find interesting is that the 9th Circuit has often been called "too liberal."

It's also the most overturned court in the country, so really all that is is a stepping stone to the SCOTUS.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You don't have to say it anyway..Maybe they should change the "Liberty and Justice for all" part until that can be true!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 3:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• six a one half a dozen. doesn't matter to me much, I don't say the pledge at all - what I do do is I stand respectfully while it's being said.
    Anonymous

• "Did anyone even actually care about what the pledge meant when they were in school? I know I didn't.
    We were taught to memorize it, then stand and say it every day. "

I remember that, too..."allegiance" and "indivisible" were 50-cent words that many kindergarteners and first graders could barely pronounce! And I remember at one point mashing "for which it stands" into "tuna fish sandwiches."

To this day, I CANNOT say the pledge without wanting a tuna fish sandwich!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• LOL tuna fish sandwiches LOLOL. I say it but never say the under God part, I say it in its original wording.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Darn it now I want a tuna sammich.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2010