Constipated son

my poor son is constipated and he just cries and cries and cries and when he can't take anymore he falls asleep but is still pushing and crying. his doctor said to try prune juice in his formula but it hasn't helped I feel so bad for the poor guy. he's 2 months old and spent his first 2 weeks in the nicu for being to early. He can't catch a break. and suggestions?

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 3:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I recommend a Chiropractor. We had issues with our oldest and it was so aweful to watch her try and go. We tryed everything the Dr said. found out she was holding it in because it was something she could control. After we see the chiropracto within two hours she is pooping and a happy girl. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• my dd was just recently in the same situation, but she's almost 2yo so theres a big difference in age. but our pedi said to give her juice & rub vaseline on her butt to make it easier to push out. less friction i guess. the vaseline trick might work. it worked almost right away for my dd, but your LO is so much younger, so the difference might make a difference. but just give baby prune juice in the formula like your doc said & maybe try the vaseline. i don't see any harm in that as long as you don't poke the poor baby's bottom.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried another formula? That one probably just doesn't agree with him.

As an option there is also relactation (breastmilk has natural laxative affects).   http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• What about a suppository? They make little ones. It will work, guaranteed.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Constipation in infants is dry, hard, pellet like stools. Is that what is going on here?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• any chance of relactating?
    Anonymous

• You need to contact your dr again. You shouldn't be taking online recommendations to treat constipation in a 2 month old. That could be really dangerous and like Krysta622 was getting at, are you sure he is crying due to constipation? Some babies don't poop every day. When he does poop is it hard pellets? Too many times we moms make the mistake of diagnosing our children. Don't tell your dr your 2 month old is constipated, instead tell him the symptoms you observe and then let him make the diagnoses.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I too would encourage relactating if you aren't fully oposed to breastfeeding. If you're working and don't want to pump, you could still BF in the mornings and evenings. I mention the BF not just due to the constipation issues, but also because your baby was early and spent time int the NICU.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2010