help! im losing my mind!

all of a sudden starting 3 or 4 days ago my 7 month old started to scream every time i put him down. hes ok sometimes if im not in the room, but if im in the room and not holding him he just wails. i cant get anything done around the house! i cant eat! he wont even go down for naps anymore! and im not just giving in, ive tried letting him cry it out and he just gets more worked up! what do i do? this cant go on much longer or im seriously gonna lose it!

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 4:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hate CIO but if you want to do it at least talk to him or sing and let him know you are there. He feels like you abandoned him.
    Anonymous

• hes looking right at me.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My daughter was like this from birth to 4 mos. I wanted to go insane, it was the worst! They get over it. We did do some CIO, but it sounds like this is a phase since he's just now starting to be like this. It'll end soon, in the meantime, he should learn how to entertain himself, at least for a few mins. My DD can but if I leave the room she frantically crawls after me wondering where I am.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• in the mean time while he grows out of this phase do i rock him to sleep?? forget about naps all together?? just go along with this incessant screaming and give in and just hold him all the time? i mean hes in his crib now just screaming. i just went over there and rubbed his belly and talked to him and sang to him and nothing. still screaming. what should i do?
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Take him in and have him checked for an ear infection.
    Anonymous

• Separation anxiety. You're right...leaving him to cry will make it worse. Go pick him up. Whatever you need to get done around the house will WAIT..this is a phase and will pass.

Sit with him at the table and let him sample what you're eating. Yes, it's OK to do that!

If you need to dash to the bathroom, fine...keep talking to him and letting him know you're right there. He'll get the idea.

Right now, he thinks that when you go, it's forever. He doesn't understand object permanency yet. He'll get there. Play lots of peek-a-boo and it'll help.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• oh i hadnt thought of that! good idea! but he still does it even when he is sitting up so do u think thats still it?
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Don't worry, it's a phase, just separation anxiety. He now realizes that there is only one "you" and that you are unique. And he still doesn't understand that when you leave you will come back. Take it slowly. If I had to walk away from DD during this phase, I would hold up one finger and tell her "One minute, mommy will be back in one minute, I'm going to the _______" Sometimes I would continue to talk to her even when I was out of her sight so she would understand that I hadn't just disappered. Now I can just show her one finger when I leave the room and she doesn't freak out. Pretty soon he will get the idea too and you will be helping him to understand an important concept: object permanence! It's frustrating, but it will get better!! Good luck!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• is it still seperation anxiety if he does it even when im in the same room?
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It is a normal developmental phase. If you CIO you will make it worse and prolong it. Either let the chores go or sling/wrap him and go about your business. It's easy to wear a baby: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1582037/Babywearing_Traditional_Styles

I've used the moby, the mei tai, and the kanga carry.   By far the kanga was the cheapest (free) and fastest option for doing chores especially for quick changes or stopping for breastfeeding and I need to wear her and unwear her quickly and easily.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2010