Co-sleeping good or bad?

I personally think it's bad but I have fallen asleep while cuddling with my 3 month old a couple times. I stopped because I don't want anything to happen and I don't want her to get used to it.
I've heard of so many young babies die because of this so I don't understand why so many parents do it.
What do you think/do?

BrigiAnne

Asked by BrigiAnne at 4:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't do it and don't think it is a good idea. It is too dangerous.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• its such a great feeling to wake up right next to your baby, but i agree, its dangerous and also habbit forming! i mean, its not the worst habbit in the world lol but its a really difficult one to break, and im a big beleiver in mom and dad time in the evening. not just for the...adult stuff, just for spending quality time together alone is very important. anyway here and there is probably no prob, but all the time is risky.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I was more against it for the sheer reason that I didn't want her to get used to it and refuse to sleep on her own. We co-slept for about 2 mos. and I always thought I was sleeping more than if we didn't, but it wasn't true. I was so afraid of crushing her that I never really slept and she was noisey and moved around a lot. Once she started sleeping in her own crib, it was great! She would go to bed and I'd have all night with my Dh and to get stuff done for the next day. most co-sleepers have to go to bed as the same time as their LO so they get no alone time!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Babies die when it's not done properly. SAFE bed sharing...google it...is safer than crib sleeping. UNSAFE bed sharing, on a couch or with blankets or when a parent is under the influence...is a whole 'nother matter.

"Co-sleeping" is actually sharing the same room with baby, whether baby is in a crib or bassinet or pack 'n'play or bed sharing.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Co-sleeping has worked great for us. I don't do it all the time, but have slept some nights with the child in our bed. We all get a lot more sleep that way and the baby is right there to nurse when hungry! From what I have researched, it is usually only dangerous if you have any drugs (prescription or not) or alcohol in your system. I don't drink at all and the only meds I take are vitamins. It is impossible to turn over on my child the way that I sleep. I would have to move my arm in order to roll over and that would hit the baby and then the baby would scream! LOL!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Bad, Never wanted them in my bed. Can never get them out. Had a friend that let her two kids sleep with her. When she finally met a man. She could not get those kids to sleep in their beds. Lost the guy because of it.

Answer by louise2 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Co-sleeping (or more specifically what you are referring to, bedsharing) can be done safely. Co-sleeping (sleeping in close proximity-like in the same room) has actually been shown to be safest of sleeping arrangements in terms of preventing SIDS. There are many, many wonderful benefits to both co-sleeping and bedsharing (a type of co-sleeping). I would strongly encourage you to do some research into the matter. Also, on a side note: if you are breastfeeding this can make breastfeeding so much easier! Breastfeeding releases the mothering hormone so when you bedshare with you infant you are more aware of her/him than a mom who isn't breastfeeding so the likely hood that you would roll over and have something happen is really next to non-existent. When practiced safely (no soft surfaces, pillows, blankets near the baby's head, etc-bed sharing is a wonderful thing!
    Anonymous

• BTW...co-sleeping was a lifesaver for me...and I had said I WOULDN'T do it. Never say never....

Answer by gdiamante at 4:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It is NOT dangerous when done properly. Ever wonder why there isn't a rash of baby deaths due to co-sleeping in other countries that practice it for hundreds of years? Because it is SAFE.

They didn't call SIDS cot death or crib death for no reason.

When done properly and following protocol with no drug use, no smoking, or drinking, no sleep disorder, or improper beds modern cosleeping is just as safe as traditional cosleeping. It's common sense: no water beds, no down fluffy matress cover, make sure the bed is secure low, or if near a wall no gaps, or with a sidecar arrangement or cosleeper it should be secure.

There are studies that PROVE that SIDS is is not a risk with cosleeping because babies breathing is regulated when in proximity to their mothers AND mothers are aware when something is amiss. The same mechaisms that keep you from rolling off the bed or on the dog still work with babies.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2010