3cm, 75% effaced- HOW MUCH LONGER?

I'm 38 weeks, 2 days pregnant with my 2nd little girl.

Anyone else who was at these "measurements" while pregnant? How much longer was it before you had your baby?

Also, Just had my membranes stripped for the 2nd time.

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 4:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was 3 cm at 36 weeks.. had my membranes stripped at 28 and 40 weeks
    was induced at 42 weeks

there is no way of knowing...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• sorryy, 38 and 40 weeks
    peanutsmommy1

• So this is your second birth, and you do not know what is going to happen? The baby will come when it is ready to come.

Answer by louise2 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• YOu can walk around like that for another 4 weeks. Dilation and effacement mean NOTHING. There are women who do not dilate at all until in active labor. Stripping your membranes isn;t going to do anything but cause discomfort, unless you are teetering on the brink of going into labor on your own. That's why I never got checked at all...ever.

Don;t rush it. Some babies really benefit from cooking to AT LEAST the average forty weeks or more. A week can make a big difference for babies in terms of breathing, temperature regulation, and a good suck. When the baby is ready your body will initiate labor. Right now is preparation.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• louise2- Thanks for your smart ass answer.

I was induced at 39 weeks with my first due to her being large. I measured 42 weeks at 39. So no, I do not know exactly what to expect.
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 4:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Hunny, I was 3cm and 50% effaced for a month before I had my son.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 5:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You are on your second. You could've been dilated to 2 cm for your entire pregnancy. lol. So being 3 cm ? You could still have 3-4 weeks to go assuming your EDD is correct ;)

I don't know why your doctor is stripping your membranes when you could possibly be 36 or 37 weeks (not term) since due dates are estimates and not exact dates like a turkey popper popping up.

Membrane stripping is dangerous. It can accidentally puncture the waters, leading to PROM which can lead to infection or umbilical cord prolapse. I would stop allowing this and just wait for nature to take its course.

You measured large last time, were your dates perhaps off? Could your dates be off again? What if you're 36 weeks and your babies lungs are not mature?

Just a few pieces of food for thought for you to chew on.

You can expect nothing. You could go into labor today or 4 weeks from now. Perhaps revisit your calendar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 12, 2010