How do you put your baby to sleep? naps and night time?

My son (6 months) is a terrible sleeper/napper. He won't fall asleep w/o nursing or rocking...then wakes up the second I put him down. He doesn't sleep through the night either. He's in his own room with, white noise, in a crib, and elevated with a wedge because of reflux. Its a living nightmare for me. He's a very active baby when awake. Laughs often, and very curious. He's the love of my life! I just want to help him (and me) gets some rest.

jillbugg622

Asked by jillbugg622 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get him a bouncer! my son actually bounces himself to sleep. then we just take him out and lay him down. Hes a good sleeper tho. I usually lay him down and move him side to side until he falls asleep and hes fine. sometimes he has to be rocked, but i wait to put him down about 5 minutes after hes asleep for sure.
    Anonymous

• Sounds just like my son. I give my son a bottle of water and lay him in his crib and rub his back and sit there very quite. He is 11 months old so when he stands up I just lay him back down and hold his hand or rub his back for a bit then sneek out sometimes it takes 10 minutes sometimes it takes an hour. When he was that age I used to give him a bottle of formula but that was a bad idea worked well but breaking the habbit is hard and I'm so glad that I have. Now it's only water in the crib. Hope this helps a little.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My daughter started watching the crib mobile around 2 months old or so. I started putting her down with the mobile turned on shortly after she started really watching it. It would take her almost an hour to fall asleep at first but now she is usually out within 20 minutes. I never let her CIO or anything like that. If she fussed it was usually because she dropped her pacifier and I would go back and give it to her. Every now and then she will get fussy and I will get her up and then try again 20 or 30 minutes later and she'll usually go to sleep then. That's for bedtime. Naps she's not as good about. Usually for naps I nurse her to sleep and then put her in the crib. Sometimes she'll sleep for 20 minutes, sometimes an hour and a half.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• my 7 month old is like that during the day too but he sleeps all night around 5 pm i'll feed him a jar of baby food then give him a bath and then 6oz of formula, pop the paci in and he's out until 6 am but i have to turn a box fan on in his room or he won't sleep gl mama
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• He's not a "bad" sleeper. He's a normal baby.

I don't "put" my baby to sleep. When she's tired she will fall asleep while nursing. If I am lying with her I just get up and she stays. If she's in my arms I wait until DEEP sleep (limp limbs, steady breathing) and then put her down wherever I happen to be, if she falls asleep in the wrap/sling then I leave her alone.

She doesn't sleep "through" the night. i don't expect her too. She wakes to feed (we breastfeed) and for a diaper change (easy for me since we cosleep) then goes right back to sleep. She doesn't play in the night so I consider that a good sleep, since even I wake to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water! A "sleep through" is considered five hours. Babies sleep patterns change a lot due to teething, growth spurts, and milestones. They really don't settle on averae until age three or four.

HIgh needs babies crave the closeness more than oth
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It's normal for babies to breastfeed and sleep next to their mothers. If a survival mechanism for them to nurse at night and make sure they are next to their other until they are 3. Babies have always done this and still do in most of the world.

My DIL hasn't been much into mothering and my son and I take care of my grandson and she works. She does breastfeed and she nurses to sleep and at night. She has never liked nursing in the day. Since my grandson was around 6 months I have played music on the computer for him to fall asleep for naps and hold him while he naps.

He is 17 mo and I'm doing it right now. He is asleep on my lap as I type. He likes watching music videos, classic rock and soft rock for naps. James Blunt, Owl City, Jack Johnson, and Colbie Caillat are current favorites. He loves music. When he is awake he likes more lively music like Train and Santana also.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I have always w/ both of my kids put them to bed when they are awake w/ a nuk/paci turned on music and night light in their room. My son did great. My daughter will go to sleep on her own but wakes up often before she really passes out.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I lay my son down and he goes to sleep - all 4 of mine did by the time they were 2 months or so, but I worked at putting them down before they fell asleep (but were very drowsy) from the time they were newborns. My oldest I would play 30 mins of classical music at night to help him fall asleep, but the other 3 went to sleep without the music.

Answer by missanc at 7:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thanks everyone! Its so helpful to hear how other mom's handle sleep. :)
    jillbugg622

Answer by jillbugg622 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2010