Can my baby have the father's last name if we are not married?

We wanted the baby to have his last name, but some people have been telling us that we cant unless we are married.. is this true? (I live in Ont Canada btw)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 5:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Yes your baby can have his last name!!!!!!! (As he/she should if the father is an active, responsible participant in the baby's life!)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Ohhh I just read you are from Canada....laws may be different there.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I dont know about canada, i would check with the records department for your area they should be able to answer that or even ask the hospital.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't know about the laws in Canada. Surely there is someone you can call about this? Are you sure you want to do that though? Relationships change and if you two aren't married, why is it so important the baby have his last name? I'm not bashing, I'm just saying that might come back to haunt you later. I hope you get an answer though. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Check the laws. Call a family law attorney and just ask

Answer by admckenzie at 5:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Not a good idea. It is so much easier if you and your child have the same last name. Everything may seem fine now and the man is gone in 6 months. It may be difficult or impossible to change the name until your child is an adult.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• in the states you can as long as her is with you when you make the paperwork for the birth certificate, they will not just put any name on it because you say that is the fathers name. that happened to my husband with his daughter, he is in the army and was overseas when she was born so she has the mothers maiden name..
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 6:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• In the states you can. My daughter has my last name even though I'm married (if she had been a boy it would have been my husband's last name. I kept my name). Out next baby will have my husband's.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't know the laws in Canada, but I do know it's not a 3rd world country with assbackwards laws that degrade women, so I am pretty sure you can name the baby what ever you want - even giving it a last name that you made up if you want. Doesn't even have to be yours or the baby's father's last name. Just not a number - a Roman number yes, an English number no.

Roman numerals are made up of letters. So for instance the number 54 in Roman Numerals spells LIV (my stepdaughter's name is Olivia, we call her Liv - her jersey number is always 54)
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2010