any suggestions on the best way to enforce disipline to a 5 yr old...time outs dont really work anymore and we dont believe in spanking. My son isnt that bad but he doesnt like to listen when it is really an important situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I use reward charts and I take toys away. My dd is 5 and most of the time she is a great kid but we have our moments, normally one stern look from her dad and she immediately stops whatever she is doing. My boys were very much the same way, we established early on that when dad or mom make that face you are in deep trouble and better listen.

My nephew on the other hand had no sense of what being told no was so when he lived with us i did a reward system, if he was being good he had a sticker, if he was bad i took it away and he had to earn it back with good behavior. At the end of the day if he still had his sticker then he got to pick a small prize from a box i had with inexpensive things like tattoos, rubber bugs, sticky hands etc. at the end of the week if he made it all 7 days with a sticker at the end of each day we did ice cream. It worked and I had him in line in no time.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Take parenting courses like Parenting Effectiveness Training, read books, attend conferences, take college courses, ect.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Most people will probably not agree with me, and I really don't care all that much but when my five year old isn't listening to me in really bad/scary situations I scare the heck out of him so that he will not do it again. Here is an example; In my son's room we have put his highboy dresser in his closet, his closet has a shelf on the top and he decided for a while that he was going to climb his dresser to get to the books and other stuff on the shelf. After getting up there and breaking his dresser pulls on the way up and down and catching him SEVERAL times, I had enough. I explained how the dresser can fall on him and that he is NOT to do that again. He did it again, the next time I put him between this dresser and myself and I pulled it forward enough so that he could feel how heavy it was and how much it would hurt him if it fell on him and he has never climbed on it again. Healthy fear is NOT a bad thing.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I make my 5 year old do squats, or hold her arms out. EFFECTIVE!
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• What does he like to do? When our kids don't do what they are expected, we take away what they like. Sometimes that's playing with friends, Wii, computer games, Barbies, etc. A consequence has to be meaningful to be effective.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2010