I really just need to vent, and scream "Why My SON!!"

Right now, I'm just really upset, and riding on an emotional rollercoaster!!! I have a 7yr old son who suffers from anaphylaxis to tree nuts, and for the past 2 days our lives have been hell.....

I got a call yesterday afternoon while at work from my son's school, saying that he was having an allergy attack and that I needed 2 hurry !! Nobody could tell me anything about his current condition, just that I needed to hurry!! I was terrified, driving with my emergency flashers on praying that he would be ok!!!

I don't understand how this happened!!! He is supposed to be safe while he is there!! I pack his lunch, his snacks, he eats away from the other home packed lunches to avoid cross-contamination, there is even a nurse on staff!! but still something is slipping thru the cracks and Im terrified that the next time an epi-pen isn't going to be enough. I wish for once i could let him go be a kid without worrying he will die

mandy0510

Asked by mandy0510 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Very scary!
    Did they give him the epi-pen like they should? Any explanation on how he was exposed to the nuts??
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Your question.
    Anonymous

• Homeschool. Quit your job and do whatever it takes. I had to do it to take care of my kids that had a life-threatening medical condition. Life isn't fair.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• ANON: I sure hope your kids never have to deal with it. She pointed out it was a VENT.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Our school insists there be 2 epi-pens, it is something new they started. Based on the thinking sometimes one is not strong enough for the reaction they need a second one available for use within a 5 minute window of time (if I remember correctly).

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 5:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• he did have to recieve an injection before i got there...luckly the ambulance arrived before they had to give him the second one... he does keep 2 epi-pens at the school, and a defibulator just incase....

last year i did remove him from public school, but he became very depressed, he missed his friends, his sports, he cried everyday, and couldn't understand why he wasn't "normal". that broke my heart that he was missing out on so much that he loved!! i couldn't do it to him, i want' him to be happy. I should point out that he hasn't had an attack at all this school year until yesterday,so up until then everything in our action plan seemed to be going ok.

as far as how he came in contact with the nuts....on the playground an older child offered him a piece of candy, My lil one asked if it was safe and the child said yes,,,of course she didn't know what to look for and that was all it took.
    mandy0510

Answer by mandy0510 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• is there anyway he can still play sports and see friends without actually being in school?
    I personally was not homeschooled, but am in favor of it.

in your case I think the proof is there- your child is a child and if the situation is leaving him open to eating things that could kill him, I'd rather have a child that's sad and needs to adjust to a new situation than the alternative-
    sounds like he's not ready to take the responsibilty of making sure what he eats is OK- he's just a kid.
    Speaking as someone who has food allergies that sound as severe as your son's - It's hard enough as a adult to make sure that food is OK.- I feel for him.

Couldn't he take part in other activities to have friends and Play sports?
    good luck-

Anonymous

• he was out of school for almost an entire year....he just didn't adjust.....and his sports teams in our area require for you to be enrolled in school. Im not trying to say that his sports or that going to a public school is more important than his life, but he was just completely a different child. he went from a happy engaging child to being just utterly depressed, he lost weight....he couldn't understand why he wasn't allowed to be the same as other children.

he has already given up so much....we are limited on were we can take him for vacations, resturants are out, public places like grocery stores, parks that kind of thing could be a landmine,,,,,birthday parties have to be turned down, family dinners have to be politely declined, holidays have taken on a new meaning....there is so much that has been taken away from him, and if by some horrible chance that something should happen to my son, whether it be by his allergy
    mandy0510

Answer by mandy0510 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• CONT......or by something else. I want to be able to look back and say that he had as full and as happy of a life as i could possibly give him.....

like i said before this was his first attack at school in a long time.....usually he is well guarded, and it had been working great..

i just wish that there was something that i could do to make it better.....as a mommy i'm feeling like a failure......mommies are supposed to be able to make everything all better...and it is such a helpless feeling when you are looking down at your baby with tubes and needles everywhere,and you know that they're in pain, but there is nothing that you can do!!!

I want for him to be able to go do whatever he wants to do and go anywhere he wants to go,,,,but something so simple and mostly taken for granted by many is so out of reach for my baby.....it makes me terrible sad and worried for his future!!
    mandy0510

Answer by mandy0510 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• bump
    midnightstar21

Answer by midnightstar21 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010