We have a baby who will be here next month and husband was just let go from his job.

My husband is the sole provider for our family and has been for about 4 yrs now since our son was born and we had the worst year of our lifes last year because he had been laid off three times and we almost lost our house. Hes an electrician and around december of last year we got a call from a company wanting to hire him on permanently so we were thrilled and he was making pretty good money. Well three months pass by and there work starts slowing down so the comp is looking for reasons to fire people and my husbands name comes up cause he has missed three days of work because of me. Im 8 months pregnant and we have no family to rely on to help me when I had some compications during this pregnancy so my husband had to take off work in order for me to go to the er or labor and delivery to get checked cause we had no one else to watch our three year old. So now hes having to pay because of me basically and it sucks. Were so

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• very happy about our little girl coming into this world and then this happens. If you know electrical then you would know how hard it is to find a job out there right now and not to mention my husband has a fellony on his back ground from when he was 19 he got cought with drugs and hes having to pay for that one mistake the rest of his life. We had to move into a house because we got kicked out of our apartment because he cant live in them cause of his fellony and no one wants to hire him either. But the trade his in is a little more lenient then most so hes been able to stick with this for almost 4 yrs now but were noticing a crack down with companys not wanting to hire people with back grounds now so this just makes our search that much harder. The econemy still sucks so bad right now and that why theres no work out there. i feel so bad for him cause hes working for this guy cleaning up equipment only making $9 and hour!!
    Anonymous

• Well, 3 days is not really that big of a deal. They were obviously just lookin for any reason to cut some payroll. Tell your hubby to look for a new job ASAP, is he is an electrician, usually that work isnt that stable and its contract, maybe he could be a maintenance man for apartments or a property management company... its pretty stable. Just an idea...
    allfiller08

Answer by allfiller08 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• cont... Thats half of what he was bringing home and it wont even pay but for half of our bills. I know its just a matter of time befor he finds another electrical job but in the mean time our finances are going way down because we dont have the income to support our needs. Is there any one that can lend a kind word or even someone else that is going through this or has and come out ok. Thanks so much for reading
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the response but he cant be a maintnence man because of his back ground. And your right electrical work your basically working your self out of a job everyday you show up for work but do you have any idea how hard it would be to start a new trade right now. I am a stay at home mom and we have a three year old with a baby on the way, it would be so hard and it is right now cause with the 9 and hour is killing us. My husband is doing eveything he can right now and thats what makes it hard on me cause hes a good man and deserves better then this.
    Anonymous

• I have no advice, but perhaps words of encouragement. When I got pregnant with dd my husband was working for a brother and making decent money. Plenty for us to live on. Then work got extremely slow and he went many months with no income. He was litereally working odd jobs for neighbors like raking leaves and painting porches just to buy formula and diapers. It was so depressing. He would always seem to get a small job in the nick of time to pay the bills and buy groceries, and then it would be nothing again for the longest time. I finally got sick of the life we had and started working toward a freelance writing career, which has turned out for us. He hasn't had any work in 8 months or more and no one is hiring. But where there is a will, there is a way. To get started I walked to the library everyday for months even in 90 degree weather. I studied how to write certain things and made up company names to do samples. cont'd..
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Then I would apply for any and every job I could find, even if I wasn't technically qualified. I landed a few that paid horribly, but it added to my resume. I read everything I could get my hands on. And finally...it paid off and I started getting higher paying jobs and more steady work. The point IS...if he tries hard enough, you will be fine. Baby sit in your home. Have him call EVERY electrical company in the phone book and ask about work. Some of my best clients came through me sending random emails to various companies. Maybe have a yard sale. Have him look into his next career move while looking for work in this one also... keep your head up. Families find a way to survive. We did! And now I'm in college with a growing career. Work together and get creative. It can be done. Good luck!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Similar thing happened to us. Hubby got laid off when our son was 3 months.. he is in construction mostly and it was the "economy's fault". So not he works a lower paying job after 5 months and moving out of state. Which you may have to do. He can post his qualifications on craigslist... he can probably get side jobs at least for people who don't want to pay an arm and leg for a company.
    Apply for PA for the time being... medicaid, WIC, food stamps... which ever and whatever you need to get through the rough time. They shouldn't NOT hire him if it has been more than 7 years since the felony.
    But check craigslist for your area often... he can at least get some side jobs in, if not find a job! Keep looking... its rough and many people are going through rough times. But you WILL make it... it may take awhile but you will survive :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm SO SORRY. You're going through a lot right now. We went through a similar situation last year. I've been a SAHM since my 2007. My DH was laid off a year ago today. :( Our daughter was two weeks old and our son was 1 1/2. We struggled quite a bit last year. He did get another job, but he's only making HALF of what he used to make. The main thing is that we're all healthy. Things happen for a reason. God has a plan for you. It might be tough to see that right now. I pray that things get better for you. I know exactly what you're going through. Message me if you ever need to chat.

Best Wishes!!

Erika
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Sorry for what you are going through. I would keep applying everywhere he can. And well, in the meantime, how about making a simple flyer on the computer and getting as many copies printed out at kinkos or office depot and go door to door and leave them on bulletin boards offering discounted electrical work and/or general maintenence....you can leave them at houses (just not on or in mailboxes) and he can possibly get some side work to help out while looking for permanent work.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Your spouse can advertise his services on Craigslist. If he is in the IBEW, the local hall may be able to help him.

He can go through the yellow pages, and contact every electrical contractor in your area.

Good luck....

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2010