Chicken Pox & Shingles

Quick question, my two little ones that have not had chicken pox and are getting over being sick were with some one who told me they have shingles should I worry?

mommy2each

Asked by mommy2each at 6:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Health

• no vax for varicella? Shingles can be worse than the pox due to the pain invloved. Don't quote me,but i believe shingles can reoccur
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'd call my doctor and ask. I hear shingles and chicken pox are from the same virus but shingles are the adult version and really painful. Call the doctor and find out for sure.
    Anonymous

• Always double check but a person must have chicken pox first in order to get the shingles.. Shingles lay dormant in the body for most until later in life and then show themselves again.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You do not need to have chicken pox first to get shingles now that they are vaccinating against it. My 10 year old niece got shingles when exposed to someone who got pox from their vax and the neice was vaxed too. Being exposed to shingles can most definitely cause someone to get pox. If they have been vaccinated there is a slightly lower chance of getting pox and higher chance of getting shingles instead.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thank you, my daughter is 3 and my son is 4 they were vac. but I thought it just lowered the chances like PP said. I called the doc and they said the same as the PP and to keep an eye on them for the next 21 days.

Thank you so much. You girls are great.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 6:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Both my daughters had the chicken pox vaccinations. My DH got shingles and ended up giving them a mild case of chicken pox - each of my daughters had about 5-10 "spots".
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 10:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010