how to wean from breast to formula.?

I need to give my daughter formula because she is not getting enough nutrients , she is 11 months and eats solids but is not getting enough, so whats the best way to get her to drink more formula from a sippy cup?

TaiM

Asked by TaiM at 6:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't have to wean if she isn't gaining weight. This is common bad advice given to mothers of breastfed children that aren't gaining well are given. Weaning is the worst thing you should do. I am the mother of 3 children and now a grandchild with a disease that causes slow weight gain. I have been through this 4 times now. We have a genetic disease called CVID. Fri. we see an immunologist with my grandson. He is 18 mo and weighs 17 pounds. Hasn't gained in 6 mo.

If you wean and your child gains even less well then what are you going to do? Relactate? What you can say is that you are open to trying new things as long as you keep breastfeeding. Adding butter or olive oil to food is great. You don't have to wean. You can add what they want to things other than formula including yogurt.

Call LLL if you want support. www.kellymom.com has weight charts for breastfed babies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Not too....I know most people probably won't agree with me, but if you are not going to nurse her, and she is 11 months old, just skip to whole milk. It isn't gonna kill her. Why do you think that she is not getting enough though?
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Tai, not to be argumentative...but why are you saying she's not getting enough? Ounce for ounce breastmilk packs MORE nutrients than formula...you have to feed twice as much formula to get the same nutrient of an ounce of breastmilk.

Baby is still at the age where nursing needs to come before solids, so if that's not happening, switching the feeding order will help..solids have little nutritional value compared to your milk.

If you want to switch, and have already established that baby WILL take formula...then exchange one nursing a week for a bottle. That's all. If she won't take formula, you can TRY mixing breatmilk with formula but don't be surprised if she still refuses it.

Do you mind if we dig a little deeper to see what's happening? What nutrients is she missing, and according to whom? If we can help you avoid the painstaking exercise of making the switch, let's do that because it will be easier on both of you.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• mamaroberts, she is not gaining weight, the nutrionist said to add butter to the solids she eats and she still is not gaining enough. they are worried about her weight. they suggested i add formula and add extra 1/2 tsp to the mixture.... thanks for your reply
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 6:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Why do you think she is not getting enough? Breastmilk has way more nutrients then formula. I agree more information is needed before I would say go ahead and wean. If you must then drop one nursing session a week and replace with formula so as not to cause infections in mom. Save the favorite feeding (often night time) for last to drop.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• How do you know she isn't getting enough nutrients?

Formula is nasty. Good luck. It would be better to nurse more to increase your supply and feed nurtrient dense foods. To find nutrient dense foods you can go to google and type in superfoods.

It's not safe to give any baby under a year cow's milk, it can cause organ damage and other problems that don't show up for years. Yogurt and cheese are OK.

Breastfeeding even if you don't think you are getting enough, nutritious foods, yogurt and cheese should give your 11 month old baby much better nutrition than the vast majority of 11 month olds.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• "mamaroberts, she is not gaining weight, the nutrionist said to add butter to the solids she eats and she still is not gaining enough. they are worried about her weight. they suggested i add formula and add extra 1/2 tsp to the mixture.... thanks for your reply ":

How much gain? Doctors too often want TOO MUCH gain. Normal gain is a pound a month. She should be around triple her birthweight by the first birthday. Knowing that, how are you doing?

Let me also ask...nursed on demand or on a schedule? The latter can lead to FTT.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• also she has been around 17 lbs for 2 1/2 months.. I feed her about 3 jars of baby food, carrots , pears chicken a day mixed with infant mixed grain cereal, now i am adding butter to the mix via the nutritionist request. she was diagnosed with failure to thrive and microcephaly and i am afraid my breast milk just doesn't give her anything, its very frustrating when i keep giving her more and she isnt gaining.. she is getting taller though..
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 6:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• gdiamante , she nurses on demand.. sometimes only for comfort though and the nutritionist today said that might lower my milk supply. i am really worried about her.. she keeps getting lower on the growth chart curve..
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 6:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• thanks Gailll, that makes me feel more hopeful
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 6:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2010