How do you find out what schools are the best in a certain area??

I'm considering moving, and would like to look at schools in the county I plan to move to, but have no idea how to go about finding out which are the best academically. I tried googling 'best schools in ____ county, {state}' but that didn't really give me any info.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Here in California you can look schools up and see their API...performance on standardized tests.

The Chamber of Commerce for your selected cities can also provide you with information.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Sometimes you have to look on each school's or district's website to check their performance report. We're kind of in the same boat, we may have to move, but I want to move to a place where I know we'll have good schools.
    Anonymous

• www.greatschools.org

Also, talk with realtors. They aren't supposed to steer someone toward or away from an area, but after they trust that you aren't there to audit them, then they will give you the real scoop.

greatschool.org will give you some good info and stats though.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It's really hard to say. There are some websites that rate schools. But when I moved here I thought I had a great school. It had won all kinds of awards and was considered the best in the district. Then 3 years in I realised how wrong I was. Just because your best in the district doesn't mean a thing if your district is one of the worst in the country. Really do your homework and don't rely solely on websites. Hang out at the school and ask parents how they feel.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 6:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• www.greatschools.org is a pretty good resource. Local newspapers have a database with public school test scores.

If you are considering Chicago, contact me offlist; I will be happy to help you navigate the system

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2010