Is my son getting too MUCH sleep??

I have been wondering for a while if my son is getting to much sleep. He is in bed usually by 8 and sleeps until 9 or so in the morning. He also gets a nap during the day which lasts between an hour and an hour and a half. Is this too much sleep??

IvoryRaven09

Asked by IvoryRaven09 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would have to say no. My son sleeps about 12-13 hours at night and then takes 2 naps during day. One lasts 2-3 hours and the other last about an hour to two hours...so if your son is then my son really is! lol But I don't think so. As long as he is sleeping good during the night and not overly cranky during the day, then nope :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't really THINK so... is he very active? Mine is VERY VERY active and intelligent. He is 18 months and started potty training himself the other day... no joke.. he is totally into it. He doesn't want any reward other than to flush the toilet when he is done.

But, what I am saying is, they are growing like CRAZY and taking in A LOT! Mine is in bed about 7 and usually sleeps until 7:30-8 am. Plus he takes about 2-3 hours worth of naps during the day if we are home to do so. He is "athletic" according to his doctor as far as his muscles are defined and he has pretty much zero baby fat.

Unless he is lethargic otherwise or acting funny, I wouldn't worry! :) I'm not!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My 2 yr old gets 9-10 hours at night and no nap. She has never been big on sleep though.
    Anonymous

• My 20 month old sleeps from 9pm-8/9am and takes a nap typically from 2pm-4/5pm. I notice that he sleeps the most when he has been active, like going to the park and/or playing outside.

All children are different and I don't think there is such a thing as too much sleep. I sometimes have friends refer to a longer nap as a need for sleep due to a "growth spurt".

Enjoy it!! :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My 2 year old sleeps from 8pm-8:30am. Then takes a small nap around 10am, maybe 45min tops. And then takes another nap around 1:30pm, and that one last an hour and a half.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thank you to all who answered. I worried about it because people are always telling me how lucky I am that my kid sleeps. He will be 3 in June. He sometimes sleeps until 10! but we try very hard to keep him on a schedule and I think that he is developing just fine. He is an active boy though unfortunately we haven't had a lot of space for him. We live with my fiance's parents and the house is a nightmare so we have to keep him in a small space to keep him safe. It sucks and I think he may be suffering activity wise because of it, but we are doing the best we can with what we have. Again, thank u all so much for answering.
    IvoryRaven09

Answer by IvoryRaven09 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Also... I just thought of this... make sure his iron count is OK... sometimes low iron levels can make a kid sleepier. I know that isn't mine boy's trouble... we had him tested... but you never know. You can just get him a vitamin with iron in it :) It's good for him either way, lol!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2010