"old school"

I don't even want to use that term really,but I'm at a loss to find an appropriate term! my mom is very bigoted towards anyone "of color" should we say,and often uses terms to describe people that just makes me shudder! We got into a discussion today about black people because she said how sickening it is that everywhere you turn on tv,all it is is black people,Mexicans,and "orientals". I don't want to says she's ignorant really because she does know better,she just figures whites are superior. Don't get me started on her opinion of "mixing the races"!! Do you know anyone like this? I'm embarrassed to know her some days! Ashamed too.Thank God I didn't grow up to these ideals!

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I don't know any one like that. You grew up with you mom's views and ideals and you still managed to form your own opinions. You have the strength and character wise women are made of. God bless your mum, whatever her beliefs are.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My grandmother sends me emails with racist jokes and such...she claims she isn't a racist, and that she doesn't see the harm in the jokes...I think it's just how the older generations were raised.
    Anonymous

• My soon to be FIL is racist. My SO has black people on his mom's side of the family, and his dad actually told my SO he wouldn't come to the wedding if they did. And yes he refers to all blacks by the "N" word, and mexicans, etc. by racial terms.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I have a friend who is like a grandmother to my daughter. My daughter is AA and she still manages to blurt out remarks that make me cringe. I always explain to my daughter how what she says is wrong but she is just very old and likely doesn't even realise she's doing it.

Anonymous

• I love meeting people who think people of color (and that is what I prefer to be called) all the same. I've been told over and over that "I'm not like other black people" I reply "really, and how are other black people?" and once they finish explaining how "we" are then I say do you know any people like what you just described in your own race and usually I get a pause and then I ask if that means all ___ people are like that"

I turn the situation back on them. Any reasonable person realizes that in every culture/ethnic group there are lazy, uneducated, irresponsible, druggie/drunkie but with all of that said there are the opposite of what I just said in every culture. I do feel a tad sorry for those who think that they can elevate themselves by putting others beneath them. Redemption is a possibility for anyone providing they need it and henceforth practice it.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2010