my son is always getting yellow notes from school the reason being talking to others and not following directionsany ideas how to improve his behaviour

he is really good in his studies but he does not follow directions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He is social and does his own thing. Yet he is good in his studies. Sounds like he is doing okay to me.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Have a chat with the teacher and ask what specifically he is doing. If it seems that he is out of line, ask the teacher for some ideas, if he doesn't seem out of line, just focus on the good.

My daughter brought home a slip of paper like that saying she was misbehaving. I talked to the teacher and found out that it only happened once and she had been talking to another girl when it was time to start circle time or whatever it was. The teacher didn't want my daughter to make a habit of talking when she shouldn't. My daughter is very, very shy so instead of reprimanding her, I gave her a high five because I was so happy to hear that she is starting to overcome her shyness. And then I told her it was ok to talk to friends, but not when the teacher asks the class to be quiet.
    Anonymous

• Reward / consequince..
    Make up a chart for a visual & tell him if he can come home for 1wk without any problems he gets..... *something that he wants*
    Or do some light punishments like yard work, taking out the trash...
    Id prefer rewards would be better for his age. Its REALLY hard for kids to sit that still & not talk to their friends.. Its even hard for highschoolers & adults! yet we require our kids to do it...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• What happens now when he brings these notes home? If nothing happens then he really has no incentive to change his behavior. Being disruptive is not OK because it effects everyone around him, regardless of how he is doing in class. MamaTasha has some good ideas.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My son (first-grader) was having a similar problem. I found out that when he was given an assignment, he would complete it WAY before the other kids were through. He was then expected to sit still until the time allotted for the assignment was complete. His teacher wouldn't let him read or anything. Just sit still and be quiet. It took almost three months of negotiations and getting the reading specialist, counselor and principal at the school involved, but he is finally allowed to read a book (on his 4th grade reading level), while the other kids finish their assignment. The contingency is that this will stop if his grades drop (a sign that he's rushing the assignment to get to his book).
    mylifeinscraps

Answer by mylifeinscraps at 1:24 AM on Mar. 13, 2010