do I have anything to worry about?

My ex husband wants joint custody of our daughter, and I am absolutely against it. He is not a legal citizen of this country, he is in removal proceedings and he will most likely be ordered to leave the country in May (but he says he will not leave, he will try to fly under the radar). If he does stay after being ordered to leave the country...does he really have any chance of fighting me for joint custody? Right now, we are in the divorce process and the judge has temporarily ordered him to have SUPERVISED visitations once a week. I guess what I'm asking is...do I have anything to worry about? I'm a college student, live with my parents, no drugs, no alcohol, no abuse, nothing.

And yes, I know I made a mistake, I know I will get some rude comments about how I shouldn't have slept with a person like that. Give me a break, I'm young and I've learned from my mistakes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Doubtful they would give joint custody to someone who is in danger of being deported.
    Anonymous

• Is he violent, or what? Why can't he be part of HIS child's life?
    Anonymous

• He can't be part of OUR child's life because he is a flight risk. He is explosive when he's angry and says and does stupid things and who is to say that when he is ordered to leave the country he will not take our daughter away and me never see her again. I never said he couldn't be a part of her life but I do not want them to be alone, and that's my business. I let him see her. He gets his visitations and more but I prefer them to be supervised and cringe at the thought of her being alone with him for one minute.

OP
    Anonymous

• That was contradicting, I didn't mean to say he "can't be a part of OUR child's life" what I meant was...he can't have her ALONE.

OP
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry about it I agree with Anonymous 5:48. This reminds me of that movie "Not without my daughter" with Sally Fields I pray it all goes your way which I think it will. GL Think positive and pray to God he will give you strength and hope.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• There is no way that they'll give him joint custody. I would though worry about him trying to take her so keep a close eye on both of them.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'm thinking he can't fly under the radar at family court.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Ivpenguino - that's exactly what I've been thinking. Everything he says is contradicting. One day he says he's leaving in 2 weeks and going back. The next he's staying and being a responsible father but flying under the radar and waiting for immigration to force him to leave. The next he wants to take me to court and take the baby from me. The next he wants to be friends and "would never take our daughter from her mom" BLAH

OP
    Anonymous