Saying Bye Bye to the Paci !!!!!

My daughter just turned 2 and I am really ready to get rid of the paci . I am expecting baby #2 in Oct. and dont want that to affect her giving it up . I would really like to go cold turkey but am really scared. She is really attached . I have heard some stories of cute little thing that people have done , like tying it to a balloon and letting it go to the sky while your little one says bye bye and so on . But she is only 2 and I dont think she will understand any reasoning . Please help , any advice for going cold turkey . ( She has only been getting it at bedime for a few months now .)

sarbreen28

Asked by sarbreen28 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I pysched myself out. I thought, " theres no way he'll ever let it go." I took it away one day while we were in town and never gave it back. He asked for it one times 4 days later. We straight up told him we threw it away.. and it's been a year without it!! I NEVER thought in a million years taht it was possible to just take it away. I thought we'd be awake for nights and nights. It was totally the best things we ever did. And it taught me that I have to let go sometimes too and trust that he is growing up and can live with out things to secure him.
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My son is 2 and only has his "binky" at night. We decided to modify his binky so he wouldn't want it and so it would be his own decision but it is taking way longer than we wanted it to. He keeps getting sick, not because of the binky but other things, so we have really been slacking on it but if you are interested in learning a new technique check out this web site... http://www.bye-bye-binky.com/ You have to download a pdf but it doesn't have any viruses so good luck.
    IvoryRaven09

Answer by IvoryRaven09 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• my twins turn 2 next week. last week i started giving them pacis only for nap and bed time. they were really fine with it. the first 2 days my dd really wanted hers if she got hurt or was told no about something. first thing in the morning i say throw your paci in your bed, and they do.
    there is a park nearby that has a paci tree. kids tie their pacis to the branches and leave them there for the paci fairy i think. its really pretty...moms use nice ribbon to tie them on!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I love how we tossed my son's paci. I took him to build a bear and let him put it inside a bear. that way, he would still "have" it with him to keep him safe at night. (He used it at night and sleeping times only) He was 2 years old (and two months) and he never looked back. He is 2.5 now and every now and then will squeeze his bear to feel it inside and will smile at what a big boy he is now.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2010