Potty Training 2 boys 19 months apart in age

My kids doctor told me he'd like to see both the kids potty training. My kids are only 19 months apart; my oldest is 3, and my youngest just turned 2 the other day. My only problem is I don't know how to go about it, mostly because neither of my kids talk so its not like they can tell me when they need to go. So its not that I don't think its possible, because mom's of twins do it all the time! Does anyone have any tips that might help out?

Mom_of_2_boyz87

Asked by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you find out let me know! :)

I have a 20 month old boy and 10 month old boy girl twins. I may "start" my oldest next month. Is your oldest not saying anything? We have started showing him when we got to the potty. (Yes, it is a riot having me on the potty while the oldest and hubby cheer me on.) We have been discussing pee pee and poo poo. I may try the outside no clothes on from the waist down method. I hear the actual effects of having a bare bottom help them understand when they are "going".

I hope that teaching the oldest will inspire the twins. They are crawling and pulling up on furniture because they want to do what ever big brother is doing!

On a side note- I have friends with twins and they did not potty train at the same rate at all. Remember each child is an individual! :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My oldest 2 are both girls. We did not try to potty train at the same time. We finally got the oldest to buckle down and do it around 3. Since they're so close in age, the younger one knew exactly what was going on - and basically potty trained herself as we potty trained the oldest. The 2nd was sleeping dry before the older one was - and we never had to try with her! So I suggest concentrating on the older boy, but letting the younger one watch and be a part of it, and join in when he wants.
    Anonymous

• : love2snorkel70: My oldest talks some, mainly one word sentences and very few words. He's in speach therapy right now, and I'm hoping that it will help. Plus we do activities with him at home to help him out with his words.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 11:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Just be patient and take it one day at a time. Have you introduced any sign language? Work on showing him you in the bathroom using the potty and see if he shows interest. I would certainly take it one child at a time if you think that will be easier for you.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 12:44 AM on Mar. 12, 2010