Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your child ever swallowed a PILL instead of liquid medicine? My son is doing so well with it!

My son is 6 and I am soooo surprised at how well he is doing with his antibiotic!!!


It is a capsule and he thinks he is a grown up b/c he can do it! lol

How old was your child when they were able to swallow a pill?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

Answers (10)
  • My kids had a lot of infections and hated antibiotics. They learned when they were between 4-5.
    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 7:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • My daughter has been on meds since she was 1 week old. At 3 years old she started swallowing pills! She was awesome with it, like a pro! =) She is 4 now, and has to swallow a total of 5 pills a day and never has a problem with it!
    ali_1107

    Answer by ali_1107 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • My youngest started at 2 years. 2nd youngest started around 3 years. Older 2 started around 4 years. I don't think it's that big of a deal, sorry.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • My kid has been taking meds since he was 6 months old, so we switched him to pills as soon as we could (liquids had to be refrigerated, but the pills didn't) and he started swallowing them at around age 3 or so.

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • wow!
    my kids have never needed medicine yet. they are 6, almost 5, and 2 and 2.
    happy2bmom25

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • Your kids are 6 5 and 2 and have NEVER needed an antibiotic?????? ok........wierd
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

  • anon:10
    you may think it is weird, but i think good living leads to good health.
    i also think antibiotics are still over prescribed and over used.
    i have great faith in the amazing human body God designed.
    if you give yourself a chance, and take care of yourself, your body is most likely going to heal itself.
    what have you given antibiotics for?
    happy2bmom25

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

  • Ok...you wanna know what antibiotics were prescribed for my son. ok.....Tuesday I noticed a swollen lymph node on my sons neck, no biggie, kids do that sometimes. Well, Tues. night he woke up with a temp of 102.8 and was screaming. When we turned on the light we noticed that this swollen lymph node had gotten huge, about the size of a baseball, no lie.

    So we took him to the Dr. The Dr was shocked by the size and the sudden onset of the lymph node. He measured it and took pictures. Then told us normal oral antibiotics would NEVER ever get rid of this bad of an infection and he was worried if it continued that it could turn septic!!!!!

    so he sent us to the hospital for IV antibiotics. After 5 days of HEAVY IV antibiotics an only a minor bit of healing, the Drs sent us for a CT....which showed that it had turned into an abcess. Dr's told us that surgery was needed to drain the fluid and.....

    CONTINUED!!!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

  • needed quickly because the huge lymph node was pressing on his Cordid artery in his neck and they were worried about the blood flow. We were panicked.

    so he had surgery and now we are on antibiotics to kill any possible infection that has not drained out and to protect his incision and also his tube that is now in his neck to help drain it.

    We have a WONDERFULLY healthy clean life....sickness still sometimes effects you.

    My son is one of the best eaters I know, he begs for raw veggies and salads...avoids meat. He could easily be a vegetarian. He would like it even.



    I TOO BELIEVE in GODS miraculous body....I also believe he gave us minds to learn and think and protect ourselves too..there is a fine line to walk and to avoid modern medicine totally is not what God intended either.

    I am not a over user...but when my child has a life threatening infection,,,, you'd better bet I will use modern meds.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

  • Oooh, it's not a good thing to assume someone abuses medications. Not everyone is an idiot when it comes to meds. There are those that are fully capable at it. Antibiotics are needed in cases of, well, INFECTIONS such as ear infections and strep throat. And many other ones. I'm surprised none of your kids have ever had even one ear infection. I have never known a kid to not have one. Wow. I'm impressed. And yes, I am totally being an ass to you, because I fully believe you were out of line.
    Here's the thing, God will not heal you of an infection. He can't. Ignoring an infection will not make it go away. Yes, antibiotics are over prescribed, and over used. They are not used correctly, thus there are resistant strains. But sweetie, don't assume you know it all, because you do not. Oh, this was to you, happy2bemom25.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Mar. 15, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN