Is the song "Row, row, row your boat" a good song to sing to Poseidon?

My son (6) asked me today what do people do in church, as we were driving past one. I told him they pray to and worship god, sing songs, and read and learn the bible. He then asked the above question, and I thought it was so cute.

I just recently read him "Percy Jackson and the Olympians; The Lightening Thief" and then we watched the movie together. So he is kind of interested in learning about the Greek Gods, and kind of stuck on Poseidon in particular.

I tried to explain to him that in that church they would not be singing songs to Poseidon, or any of the other Greek Gods, and that in that church they only believed in one god. I also mentioned that there were many other gods, such as the Roman Gods, Pagan Gods, Norse Gods, but that not everyone believed in them either.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 7:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Lol thats cute. How was the movie?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• The movie was pretty good. A little scary, but so was the book. At one point while reading, my son asked for me not to read it to him before bed, because it was too scary. Afterwards, we discussed all the things that were different between the book and the movie (which was a lot).
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• too cute! your son knows way more about religions than i did at his age...or at 16 haha.

man, i cant wait till my DD is old enough to start reading those kinda books and movies. so fun!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• It's a cute idea! Why don't you get some children's myth books? My kids love them!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Sabrina, do you have any titles I could look up?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

D'Aulaire's Book of Norse Myths

Jeanne and William Steig's A Gift from Zeus

Barbara Leonie Picard's Tales of the Norse Gods and Heroes

Marcia Williams Greek Myths for Young Children

That should get you guys started. I was a total Greek Geek from a very young age. I discovered it on my own...my mother had a flaming fit when she realized. sigh.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I am Christian but I've always loved reading the Greek Myths in particular. Many of my cats over the years were named for characters in myths. My most beloved cat was named Zeus. He was so young, fit in the palm of my hand when I adopted him from the shelter. He was solid black, not one stray white hair. I miss him still.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Thanks roachiesmom, I'll look those up so we can start learning more about it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• too cute
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2010