Would you feel comfortable with your child's church teacher covering sexual, physical and verbal abuse with them?

We just started a new church and the kids class teacher (my kids are 7, 8 & 9) sends an email out saying she wants to do a CPS curriculum with all the kids covering all types of abuse, and that the kids should come to her and her husband if they are being abused. I'm just confused. Why would the church cover this? Isn't the place of the church to discuss faith, God and the Bible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont like that. I am my childs parent and I am the one who they will come to if they need help.

I wouldnt let my kids participate in this.
    Anonymous

• It does seem like an odd choice. Nope. Don't think I like that one bit.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• CPS's program??? Yes, I would have a problem. I would NOT have a problem with my child's church teacher discussing what the Bible has to say about sex, lust, physical, and verbal abuse. We would have discussed that with out own children. But CPS's material?? I would think that would be much more than is appropriate in a church.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• What,come to them if they're being abused at home? isn't that a little ironic since the church is where alot of kids are molested?
    Anonymous

• OP here....I kind of get a bad vibe from the male children's pastor anyway. I'm wondering if this is some twisted way to "groom" any of the kids by opening up that type of dialog. It makes me feel very uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

• How is it any different than a school teaching it?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• trust your instincts,they won't steer you wrong
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Trust your instincts! Maybe look for a new church. My husband is a pastor and was also a children's pastor. We visited a church once that I was sick to my stomach after putting the kids in class. I don't know why. Steve had me leave the auditorium and I walked the halls peeking in the class the entire hour. We haven't put our kids in their classes again (when we visit - it is a family member's church). They go to the nursery, but I stay with them since I have to nurse. Anyway, I don't know if there is anything wrong, but I am trusting my gut and not going to risk anything.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I think home, church, school, camps, etc are all appropriate places for types of abuses to be discussed. If a child is being abused at home, the church or school can help. If the church is abusive, the child will learn how to discuss this at home. If you feel uncomfortable, then go to the facilitator(s) of the discussion and ask them exactly what is going to be covered. Ask to look at the curriculum. Ask to attend the actual class/discussions..... We have choices as parents, but I don't think burying my head in the sand or limiting my children to only ME discussing these tough topics is the answer.

I was youth director at my church for 4 years and always had the "kids" best interests at heart. I loved those kids more than anything and wanted them to be able to discuss anything with me; especially if they felt like they couldn't discuss topics at home.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• While they may have good intentions, telling kids to come to them if they are abused at home, sending out an email telling the parents they are teaching this will not catch an abused kid who fell through the cracks. If the parents are abusing the kid, they won't send them to the class.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2010