fever?help!

My 23 month old has a fever under her arm of 102. Should I take her into the E.R.? I

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They had an ER doctor on Rachael Ray today. The doctor said don't panic over a fever. It's the body's way of letting you know it's fighting something but it might handle it on its own. You can call the ER if you feel better or your pediatrician's service and ask when to take the child to the ER

Answer by admckenzie at 7:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Give some tylenol and wait thirty minutes. If it doesn't go down, it warrants a call before you drive out there.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I never took mine to the ER. my sons temp got up to 105.0 one time and his Dr told me to put him in luke warm coolish water and sponge him off.

It worked...along with Ibuprofen.
    Anonymous

• I'd call the dr for sure... especially before you go to the ER. make sure you take note of all other symptoms she may have. hope she feels better!
    c_lotte1107

Answer by c_lotte1107 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Do motrin and give it a bit. Call the doctor though. My son too has had a 105 fever and we put him in a cool bath and gave him motrin and tylenol (alternating of course).
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 7:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• unless there is seizures,loss of consciousness,dehydration,neck stiffness,or confusion,the ER will do nothing for you. A virus is probably your culprit. Push fluids and rest and fever reducers and try to ride it out.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No, a fever isn't a big deal and nothing to worry about. If she has any trouble breathing or is showing signs of dehydration then you should go in. If you child is acting uncomfortable with the fever then you can give Tylenol and/or Motrin. They can be given at the same time if needed. Wait an HOUR before rechecking the temp, it takes that long for the medication to work... if after an hour it hasn't come wait another 30 mins and check again. As long as it's coming down it's fine... it doesn't need to be "normal"
    If the fever goes over 105 I would call your pediatrician.. but I wouldn't rush into the ER unless there are other worrisome symptoms.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• i wouldn't go to the er. you would be exposing your possibly vulnerable baby to God knows what! I am personally not a fan of fever reducers either, but i am in the minority there. i would keep an eye on your baby, and push the fluids. is your baby teething? could be those 2 yo molars!
    good luck, snuggle with your baby!
    try not to worry too much. most likely the fever will go down by morning!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2010