potty training - stuck because of nursery school

My daughter is full-time in underwear at home and *was* doing great. She was telling us when she needed to go -- a few misses here and there, but really good. She led the way on this thing... she was staying dry at nights and naps and wanting to sit on the potty like her big sister. Well, she's in nursery school 2 days a week (in the under-two class where no one else is potty training). I know I can't expect them to deal with her in underwear... but it's gotten worse each day. The first day she had underwear with a pull-up over it and stayed in the same pull-up/underwear combo all day. The second day she had one accident really early but stayed dry the rest of the day. Today she never peed in the potty there. And when I picked her up it was one accident after another -- as though she had never used the potty before. I think the pull-up at school is ruining our progress! She's not comfortable going potty there! Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you taken her potty at the school? My 4 year old son takes himself, but is very uncomfortable in new places and has had accidents. He does MUCH better, no accidents, if we show him where the toilet is and take him their the first time or so. After that, he is comfortable taking himself. I know my son is much older, but maybe it would help.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestion... but yes, I have. I took her the first day after she started in underwear at home, and have taken her first thing when we get there each time. I even brought the same potty ring she uses at home (even though they have a child's size potty) and she sits just fine for me and pees when we get there.
    Anonymous

• Idk about the school part... but dd has been potty training for 2 months and she went a full 2 weeks with no accidents. But, DH got upset when she did have one and started putting her in pull ups. Ever since, she hasn't been trying and it's like she thinks the panties will absorb like the pullups do! To me, I think pullups set them back... dd LOVES peeing in public but at home she could care less. And it's frustrating because she was doing so well! Maybe what is needed is another person on board with the training and getting her on the potty at school (with me dd it's getting her father to understand accidents happen).
    Anonymous

• Don't stress it, b/c it sopunds like that's what she is doing and if you stress she will sense it and round and round we go. Going to school ... even if she seems fine ... is still somewhat stressful to her b/c she's away from you. As she progresses both at school and through consistent potty training at home. It will work out. Just hang in their and reward her for each "dry day" ...a little sticker will be more than enough. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• Some regression like this is really normal. It's like when you first started to drive a car. You were super cautious and careful, checked your mirrors every minute and looked both ways 5 times at each intersection. Then you got some confidence, relaxed a bit...... got a bit distracted and I'm sure had a few swerves and near misses. She is still trained but at nursery school, there is SO much going on she can't concentrate and be as cautious every second, she'll get busy at an activity, not want to give up her turn with a toy. She thought is was all under control, now these are her swerves and misses. It's okay to have accidents, they aren't deliberate or naughty, just part of development and many kids have occasional accidents right up to 4-5yrs old. I'd just pack plenty of spare panties , leave the pullups off, and the nursery staff will change her if necessary.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010