I need some words of encouragement.

I'm trying to quit smoking, because I'm pregnant. Both MJ and cigs. It's actually pretty hard, but I don' t want to do that crap! Can someone give me words of encouragment to look at when I crave? Please, don't dog me, I'm only human like the rest of you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• oh, darlin' it's ok. Start slowly, stock up on dum-dums, tootsie pops, jolly ranchers, or any other hard candy. Also, learn to knit, crochet, cross stitch, needle point, ANYTHING to keep your mouth and hands busy. When it comes to weed,just TRY TRY TRY not be around it. IF your man smokes, banish him from your presence, one doesn't need such temptation when trying to stop smoking anything. Once you do stop,the smell of cig smoke will make you wanna barf. Use that to your advantage! Good Luck & congrats on WANTING to stop, that right there shows that you're heading in the right direction! *hugs*
    vanillagirl422

Answer by vanillagirl422 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• pray baby,God can take anything you wanna give up :)
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 8:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Go to the website of the American Lung Association or the March of Dimes. Maybe they have tips for pregnant women to quit.
    Good luck.
    Anonymous

• they say the craving only last for 3 to 4 mins so when u have a craving think or do something that will take ur mind off it..chew gum think mmm this is a bold flaor.....also ur trying to reprogram your brain its hard but can be done. my bestfriend did the same when she got pregnant...i never saw her house so clean lol.. but thats what she did when she felt the urge to smoke a butt. clean scrub sanitize. and no one was to smoke in her house.. she also had her dh paint the walls of there house. clean fresh start.. good luck stay strong after a week it should get easyer and easy for u...reward your self at the end of the month...xoxo
    Anonymous

• I quit cold turkey during both my pregnancies and the first 7 days are the hardest after that the smell and taste would make you sick. PP was right that the cravings only last a couple minutes. When you get a craving don't do anything that you would normally do while smoking. Also gum and mints work pretty good. If you get mad or upset about something instead of smoking scream into a pillow, I swear it helps. At least it helped me at the time. If I think of anything else I'll post it. GL hope this helps a little.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 8:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• gum and candy help, i liked cinnamon altoids a lot. i had a harder time watching people on tv smoke..they seemed to enjoy it more than anyone in real life! hopefully people around you will not smoke in front of you. you can breathe deep and exhale the same way you would if you were smoking.
    good luck and don't quit quitting!!!
    Anonymous

• I hear great things about hypnosis~
    You can see if there is anything offered in your area.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't know why anyone would bash you for trying to quit!! That is awesome, and you deserve all the encouragement you can get!! Maybe try a visual aide, like a chart or something with a daily, weekly, and monthly goal. Keep updates in your journal... I know I like to read when someone is trying to do something new or difficult. You will get a lot of encouragement if you do something like that as well. Good luck and YOU CAN DO IT!! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Mar. 12, 2010