What's the best time to put a 3 month old down to bed?

I usually put her down at 10pm in hopes that I don't have to get up until 5am or so. But she gets really fussy around 8pm so I'm wondering if I need to put her down earlier. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

hollysmom77

Asked by hollysmom77 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Right around that age is when we started moving it up... just like you said -- from around 10 pm (when I went to bed) up to about 8pm. That sounds right on track. You may have to get up a little earlier for a short while, but my guess is the earlier bedtime will help her stretch out that first stretch even longer. Now's a great time to focus on a good routine, as others have said. Right around 4 months is when they start paying attention... so it's a good idea for you to be happy with what you're doing right around that 16 month time-frame, because baby will notice if you change it. That was the best advice I got as a first-time parent. We transitioned her to her crib in her room by 16 months and it went great.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• if she gets tired at 8, put her down at 8! my dd was going to bed at 8 by 4wks. she was my second. my ds i would let him stay up late, haha i learned my lesson! thankfully i figured it out by 5 months, so he had a routine going and went to bed at 8 at that age. better start a routine now, or you'll be paying for it in the future
    Anonymous

• if she's fussy, put her to bed. Our DD has been going to bed by 7:30 since the night we brought her home. I agree with the PP about the routine-- get her in a routine now-- used to an early bedtime, or you'll NEVER get one down.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• When baby is tired. That has nothing to do with the clock...annoyingly. babies can't tell time and don't know when they've woken us form a great dream! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 8:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My daughter is a little over 3 months, gets tired at 7-7:30, is asleep by 8 & she wakes up between 5 & 6. I don't think you should keep a baby up so they wake up later, that's not really fair. I've just learned to go to bed early or deal with the lack of sleep.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2010