Diaper Rash that will not go away!

I have twin girls that are 8 months old. One of them has a very nasty diaper rash. We have tried everything to get rid of it. It just won't seem to go away at all. It is getting worse. The other twin doesn't have anything and we change her diaper less frequently then the other. Anyone have this problem? Could it be something other than a diaper rash? We've tried cream and baby powder.

bjane01

Asked by bjane01 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could be yeast. need prescriptions for that kind of rash.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 8:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Time to try a prescription medication. It could be a fungal infection which most diaper creams won't touch. It could be a yeast infection also resistant to most creams. Make an appointment so her misery can end.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I agree, it's probably yeast and she should be taken to the doctor to get the meds. It only takes a day or two to start going away after she gets the meds. My daughter had it and our doc said its common wiht baby girls
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• try zinc oxide. not stuff with zinc oxide in it, the actualy zinc oxide. i think you can only get it from doctors though. i had to use that on my dd. but like the pp's said, it could be a yeast infection as well, so ask her pedi just in case
    Anonymous

• Before you assume it's yeast (and IMO before you make the appointment), try giving 5-10 minutes of air time every hour or so. Wipe with a wet washcloth or wet paper towel, not baby wipes, and then let her air dry. You can just have her hang out on a bunch of towels, that's what we did. Air time was the ONLY thing that made a difference for us. And then after that, a good zinc oxide cream, for sure. Not baby powder.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Have you tried things like corn starch or a baking soda bath? Those help for really bad rashes but it could be yeast like others have said. My youngest has gotten yeast a couple of times and had to have meds. If you haven't tried corn starch or a baking soda bath try those tonight since you can't go to the doctor and see if it's better in the morning.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• op I have tried the air drying doesn't seem to help. I guess I need to call the doctor! Thanks for the help!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Could she be allergic to the wipes. My daughter was so sensitive when she was born. We could only use wet papertowels. I would say go ahead and give her doctor a call.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I just went through this with my daughter. We tried everything. I eliminated acid from her diet. I tried different cream. I went to the pedi and got a script for a cream. I let her air dry for a bit. I soaked her in the tub. Frequent diaper changes. THEN, I switched diaper brands. We were using Walmart brand Parent's Choice diapers and I made the switch to Pampers 12 hour diapers and she hasn't had a rash since. If I ever notice a little redness I use Butt Paste and the next time I change her she's all cleared up. Good luck!
    JennyBea0121

Answer by JennyBea0121 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I have two answers....

They may be allergic to the diapers...have you switched or anything lately. My dd could not use huggies...they broke her bottom out BAD

Or Yeast infection which can look HORRIBLE on the bottom! She needs niastatin ointment which the Dr will prescribe!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010