Is it in any way normal to feel like this? I'm beginning to think I really need help.

I've been feeling really down lately. Really down. Not all the time but a lot of the time... I cry easily and often. My daughters are 18 months and almost 3. They're great girls but a handful of course at their age. Lately I feel like I can't manage life anymore. I get overwhelmed -- I mean almost panicky -- over things like mealtime. I feel like I'm staring off into space half the time trying to figure out what I need to do next, then the next minute getting upset with my girls over something completely age-appropriate, and then the next minute trying to make up for that outburst by being 100% attentive and loving. I feel like I'm going to screw them up. My 3 year-old gets so upset when I cry and it's happening more and more often. She runs and gets me a tissue and begs me to stop. Tonight I made their dinner and got them to the table and then took my food into the living room to cry. The whole time feeling, I'm not fit...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• It does sound like depression. And whenever you think you need help.,..asking for it is ALWAYS a good idea..

Answer by gdiamante at 8:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• (cont'd) I know it's normal to get upset with toddler tantrums, but lately I've practically felt enraged. My blood boils and I can count back from ten and usually I'm okay but for a moment I felt like I could have hurt them. I haven't hurt them... but I am actually starting to get a little scared. I love them so much. I'm not from an abusive situation AT ALL. I don't know what that's like or what the warning signs are. I'm not even sure that's really the issue here. Where should I go, what should I do? My husband is great and supportive but he's working all the time to support us right now... piecing together 3 different jobs...
    Anonymous

• I'd mention it to my doctor. It is some what normal to feel this way on occasion, but not this often.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• So sorry Hun..you are going thru this. I have one toddler(almost 3) I could onlyyyy imagine 2 little ones. you are doing a great job!!! You have ALOT on your plate as a MOM of TWO!!! You are also prob. so overwhelmed 24/7 being with your two children. See if you can get out and having a routine...making time for you.....and quiet time(down time for them) so you can gather your thoughts. Just remember your never alone and look to family/friends for support-sometimes the best advice is from the ones who love you!!!If you feel it's not getting better.....talk to your doctor so you can manage your emotions and feelings. Best of Luck to you!!! :)
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You are depressed and need help. Please call your doctor for a referral to a therapist.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I would look for help. A doctor, or a therapist. I would also try to limit my DD seeing my cry, excuse yourself to the bathroom. Children are more worried about bad things happening to their parents than they are of bad things happening to them. Don't freak them out. You need help...that is ok...life is difficult at times. Just move forward...look for help, don't just sit in dispare.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2010