for parents who don't like toy guns

Hi. We don't play with toy guns here. We are a military family and i think it's extremely important for my children to understand the kind of power and responsibility a person has when they hold this weapon. Sometimes they still find ways to play with pretend guns (using fingers or legos) and when this happens i tell them that if they aim it at any person it will immediately be taken away.

Well, we were at the park today and my boys were playing with some other boys who had toy guns. Not a very big deal. Lots of parents let their children play with guns. They were all chasing the "bad guys" and what not. ...okay. well a while later i came up to talk to one of my boys and the other kid pointed the toy gun straight at my sons head and "shot" him several times.
It really bothered me and i asked the child not to do that to my child again.
Would it have bothered you? Did i over step my boundaries? What would you have done?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 8:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would have done the same thing. I don't judge parents who let their childen play with toy guns either. I just don't like my children to play with them. I think you did the right thing.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 8:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• This is not a debate about if i should let my boys play with guns. I do not care if you let your child play with guns nor is this a debate about what is better or who is the better parent. we all make our own choices. there's no need to argue about which way is "right". Please ladies, let's keep this civil.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• No, I think you did the right thing. I would have done the same thing and then left.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I think you need to lighten up. It was a TOY GUN.
    Anonymous

• i totally understand what you are saying. i have a two year old boy who loves to play with his guns and chase the "bad guys." He is just not allowed to shoot anyone above the shoulders..i might not mean anything to some people but to me that's where i draw the line. if you are against it, you have every right to tell that child or his parents.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 8:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I think kids will be kids. I think you are making your children ignorant to guns by not teaching them how to handle them. I was raised by a father who was in the Marines and taught me that guns are weapons and NOT something to play with.I helped him clean his guns and knives when I was 10yrs old and he took me hunting and taught me everything I know. Even though I played guns a child with my brothers, I know how dangerous guns are and am very safe when hunting. My fiance and I are picky who we hunt with because if we don't feel they are responsible or safe enough with a gun, then we don't want them around us with guns. I wouldn't think its a big deal hun.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• we are military too, and although i'm not a big fan of it, i let my ds play with them. we also will be teaching our kids not to point it at anyone, with the exception of water guns, and that is only under the neck, never the head. i probably would have let it slide though, if another kid did that to my son, unless it happened multiple times.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't like it either. its just the principle of the matter. I maybe wouldn't have said anything but I certainly would have been annoyed. Kids don't understand it but as adults, we read it as a threatening gesture. I don't think it was wrong to tell the kid not to do it, I've learned that since parents raise their kids differently or don't always see everything, you sometimes have to speak up when you aren't ok with something a child is doing with your kids.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• That being said, if you are against that sort of thing then politely ask the child to not play that way with your child and leave it at that. I wouldn't get nasty with a kid for playing with yours that way. I wouldn't have made that kid feel bad and left the playarea though as another mom suggested.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• ew "boys will be boys" is just an excuse for bad boorish behavior! Its fine if you're ok with letting your kids play with guns but don't throw them under the bus with thoughtless mantras! not trying to give you a hard time but I just hate that phrase. too many "boys" being "boys" out there.
    Anonymous