Are medical professionals and parents confused about Autism?

"It is generally accepted within the autism community - by parents and professionals alike - that autism is a behaviorally-based disorder, that is, diagnosis is based on observation of behavior and treatment focuses on alleviating challenging behaviors. However, a growing number of individuals within this expanding community also acknowledge that there exists an equally relevant biomedical component to the disorder that should not be overlooked in planning treatment programs for individuals with autism spectrum disorders. While recognizing the need for biomedical testing, both parents and medical professionals can be at a loss in understanding the array of tests available and how to determine which test(s) are most appropriate for a child or adult with an ASD.

The recommendations for testing that follow are based on my 10 years experience as a Laboratory Director of The Great Plains Laboratory."
Autismtoday.com

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The recommendations for testing that follow are based on my 10 years experience as a Laboratory Director of The Great Plains Laboratory."

***
    Yeah, well, "DR" William Shaw, is in MY opinion a sham. We used Great Plains Labs for blood, urine and stool analysis of my older son, and they came back with him be "severely allergic" to 57 DIFFERENT foods--SOME of which my son had been eating regularly without ANY side effects, rashes, digestive problems, etc. This was when my son was 3 years old (2005).

Because we didn't know any better, we heeded their advice and eliminated those foods, went on the GFCF diet for almost a year, and then had him tested by a local allergist who completed an extensive food allergen skin test (THAT was "fun"). Guess what, my son was NOT allergic to ANYTHING that GPL said he was.

Five years later he REFUSES to eat ANY of those once favorite foods--like bananas, apples, grapes, bread, PB & J, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• There are an awful lot of autism diagnoses in the past several years, very very scary I think. And more will be diagnosed changed from separate other diagnosis of spectrum in the new mental definitions go through. Not every case of autism is alike and not every case of spectrum is alike and additionally more offshoots of spectrum vary from the official spectrum.

I think schools are looking for the easiest ways to label and remove 'problem behavior or potentially problem behavior kids' and also 'learning different kids.
    Anonymous

• the boards are awfully slow aren't they? anything to get people to post huh? this topic was just discussed at great length just last week. VISIT MORE OFTEN or stop chomping at the bit.
    Anonymous

• Thanks anon for the comment. OP
    Anonymous

• Do you have a link? I am not sure I understand what they mean by "biomedical." I am the parent of a child with an Autism Spectrum disorder. It isn't just about behaviors for my child.

Thanks. :)
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Do you have a link?
    Search for Dr. Shaw William and Biomedical TESTING. Children with Autism are found to have INTESTINAL MALABSORPTION.
    Anonymous

• Do you have a link?

Okay, now I know what you are talking about. No I do not agree with this. IMO, if this were the case diets would work with more children. It seems he conveniently leaves out other more studied/documented potential causes.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• to the first anon- schools are NOT ALLOWED to diagnosed autism. Only a doctor can do that. In fact, many schools are trying to reduce the amount of kids who qualify for special ed services, because those services are extremely expensive. If a teacher or administrator ever mentions "I think your child has _____ ADD, Autisim, etc." they can be sued!!!!!!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• tThese kids are neurologically different from typical kids.

It seems that there are a few different things causing it.

My kid's ADD is OFF the charts.
    His working memory is non-existent.
    He always has the Duh thing going on, despite making A s and B s.
    It's hard to not become exhausted when it's so hard just to stay in the moment all day.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Grace, I'm floored. I have to write this on a calendar. :O)

I feel the same way as you describe your son. It is exhausting. Now, I have autism (and more than a few of the overlapping ADD traits) so it's not just trying to stay focused and "in the moment," it's having to watch other people to try to figure out exactly what is expected of me in any given social situation to try and mimic it. There are so many things "normal" people seem wired to grasp more easily, or to grasp that the behavior is socially expected, whether you like it or not. When something makes no sense to you at all, or is something you never even notice (or notice too much) it is exhausting trying to just figure it all out, much less coordinate everything into "appropriate" action. So I am always at least a few (on a good day) awkward beats behind. Usually the rest of the band is marching the parade route, and I'm in a field "over there" somewhere.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2010