ENT appointment - what should we expect?

My daughter (18 months) has had a billion ear infections and is finally seeing an ENT tomorrow. I'm just wondering if anyone who has been through this can tell us what to expect from this appointment? The poor child has developed white coat syndrome from all the ear checks and antibiotic shots she has received lately. We took my husband in for a procedure the other day and she screamed bloody murder every time the nurse called someone from the waiting room or a doctor came anywhere near us. So I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself. Is there a major ear exam, or do they rely more on history of infections, things like that. Thanks for any info.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 9:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• They put us in a room and checked his hearing. Looked in his ears, and asked about how many ear infections hes had in a certain pd. of time..then scheduled him to get tubes....pretty simple...the doc and nurses were great! Day of surgery isnt too bad either!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My son was 4 at the time. They did look at his history and his ears, nose and throat. They also ran a hearing test, which was pretty simple. I'm not sure if they had the equipment to test an 18 month old. We took him to a hospital with the equipment for that. Good luck with the exam.

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• They will look up her nose with a light and then in her ears and mouth. I would try to find a pediatric ENT, it may go better for her.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2010