ENT appointment - what to expect

My daughter (18 months) has had a billion ear infections and is finally seeing an ENT tomorrow. I'm just wondering if anyone who has been through this can tell us what to expect from this appointment? The poor child has developed white coat syndrome from all the ear checks and antibiotic shots she has received lately. We took my husband in for a procedure the other day and she screamed bloody murder every time the nurse called someone from the waiting room or a doctor came anywhere near us. So I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself. Is there a major ear exam, or do they rely more on history of infections, things like that. Thanks for any info.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 9:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i feel ya my son has had so many ear infections since 8 months old and now hes 3 and has grown out of it, i as well when i was his age got many ear infections, i need to take him to a ent too
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Been there done that! My 5 year old is getting his 6th set of ear tubes on the 6th and my almost 3 year old is on her 3rd set right now! Between the 2 of them and changes in our health care, we have been through 4 different ENT's but they were all the same. YES there is an ear exam and YES they rely on past history. Typically they check the amount of infections that she has had as well of the course of treatment. A good ENT will probably give you a referral to an audiologist for a hearing test to make sure the ear infections arent causing hearing loss. The ENT will want to make sure that your child actually has ear INFECTIONS and not just fluid in the ears. There is a huge difference on the cause and on the course of treatment
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:23 PM on Mar. 12, 2010