How can I get my son ready for kindergarten?

He is only 2 now but all the moms in my playgroup are starting MDO in August but I really can only afford one thing and I really want to do gymnastics with him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in

• what's mdo?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Mother's Day Out.
    Anonymous

• How does MDO get a child ready for Kindergarten?
    Anonymous

• ok.... so why does that have to be something you pay for? i'm just confused. and as anon said.... what does it have to do with kindergarten?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• The ones here are really good and they teach them a lot of the things they will need to know going into kindergarten. I'm just not a good teacher. Plus it gets them used to the school setting.
    Anonymous

• Okay here is what you do..... relax. He is two. Let him enjoy being two for now. Don't stress too much about kindergarten. That is 3 years away.
    Second, play. Kids learn best duing play. Play with blocks, puzzles, toys, books. Whatever you have. In everyday life incorporate counting, colors, the alphabet. For example, count out loud how many oranges you have in the fridge. Than eat one, go back and count how many are left. When you see things in the store point out what color they are and talk about which color you like the best. Sometimes you might feel really corny and cheesey doing these things. But your lo won't ever once think that you are being cheesey. Read. Read lots and lots of books.
    I think what you are asking is how to get him ready for a classroom setting. Right? Gymnastics would be great for him. He will have the contact with other kids.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I don't know if it will help but starting at about 3 my son really liked the preschool workbooks you can get at Walmart, and probably lots of other stores too.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• it sounds like a playdate would accomplish the same thing imo. . .try taking him to storytime at the library. i don't really think you need to be worried about preparing him for school at 2yo. but if you want to do gymnastics with him for fun that's another story....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• You might also find a preschool in your area he can start in a couple of years. You can also play school at home. Invite a couple of his friends over and play school with them. Or sit a bunch of stuffed animals together and have them be the other pupils. Than practice sitting in a circle. Or reading books. He can color and if he is intereseted start learning how to write letters. Although boys don't usually care much for writing that young. Remember you are his best teacher. Don't have any self-doubt about that. You can do just as much as any of the MDO teachers can.

He is probably already well on his way considering you have him in a playgroup where he can interact with other kids his age. That is an important skill to learn for kindergarten.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• you're thinking about kindergarten already?
    take a deep breath and slow down.
    now, let me ask you a few questions. ...who taught your son to walk? who taught him to eat with a spoon or fork? who taught him how to talk? who is teaching him how to use his manners? I bet you are the one who is teaching him almost everything. You will teach him sooooo much before he enters kindergarten. just relax. he's two.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

Next question in
all boys/all girls classes

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
23 weeks and feeling sick.