my 2 month old is teething and i wanted to know if it was safe to give her baby orajel.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you sure she's teething?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Being that young I would ask your doctor first.......Always.....
    countrylovingma

Answer by countrylovingma at 10:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• I'll be honest. I used orajel when I had braces. It sucks. It is almost a burning sensation at first, and then it nums your tongue and other parts of your mouth. It sucks. And it does NOTHING for the headache you get from a sore jaw. I imagine it has the same effect on babies. Unless the pain is surface only, it won't touch it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Doctors don't recommend it because it can numb a baby's throat and gag it/choke it or whatever. Get Hyland's Teething Tablets... should be by the vitamins at wal mart... otherwise ask the pharmacist... they work really well!! THey are all natural and help with the pain, seeing as you aren't supposed to use tylenol for another month.
    Yes, she can be teething... most don't til at least 3 months, but my little guy started at 3 weeks.
    Good luck if she is teething! It can really suck!! Just give her stuff to gnaw on!! (wash cloth with ice in it, wet wash cloth, teething rings, those all rubber green pacifiers work well for my guy to gnaw on... just something kinda hard and that she won't choke on!)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Would not recommend orajel that young. I've only used it once on my daughter and she hated it! I used some 1st to see what it felt like and I felt bad giving it to her, but she was really miserable. Now I just give her teethers, frozen or wet washcloths, teething cookies etc. For a 2 month old, If she is actually teething...try rubbing her gums with your finger. As a side note, I too thought that my daughter was teething around 2 months because she had a couple white bumps that looked like teeth coming in and she was really fussy. Turns out she didn't get a tooth until she was 10 or 11 months old and she got her front teeth first. The bumps were not where her teeth ended up coming in. Good luck!
    JennyBea0121

Answer by JennyBea0121 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• i know how u feel my 3 mth old is teething to ... i was told that baby orajel is to strong for babies this young..if u give them to much on accident it could kill them....however there is a baby jel for teething at any age that will not hurt ur little one.. the name of it is Hylsnds(homeopathic) teething gel for any age... its made from a pediatrician...u can buy it at wal-mart. it is kinda pricey but worth it.. there is also the teething tablets
    Anonymous

• No! Hylands teething tabs; frozen, damp washcloths and extra nursing (for comfort as well as nutrition)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I just give tylenol or motrin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2010