How to potty a subborn 3 year Old

Ok, so my daughter Lilly is 3 and a half. We have been hard-core potty training for over a year now. I am about tapped out in the patience department. My concern is pooping. She almost straight refuses to do it sometimes. She will tell me that she has to go. We will go sit on the potty for a LONG time and then she will say she didn't have to go. (About 85% of the time, she is right.) But the other times she will pull her pants up and poop. I have stocked her to see any signs, but she can actually talk to you and poop and you wouldn't know she did it. We have tried the sticker chart, piggy bank, vocal praise, candy, going every hour, you name it. But she still won't do it. Btw, Everyone else, daddy, grandma, ect has seen her go in the potty, but I haven't. Noot once. Any advice anyone has would be amazing. I am desperate for anything that could help.

raewoods1219

Asked by raewoods1219 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• give her some privacy?
    Anonymous

• Have you made her clean up her own mess? You of course make sure shedoesn't make a bigger mess. That worked for my daughter...I made her dump her poop in the toilet. Then I washed her bottom off with cold water. Only had to do that twice.
    Anonymous

• Wait until she's ready and more enthusiastic about going to the potty. Right now, it seems like you're forcing the issue, which is causing her to rebel. She is not the only 3.5 year old who isn't potty-trained...

If you waited until she was ready, it would not have taken over a year!!! That alone should indicate to you that it's just not working right now. Take a month off. Let her go pee pee like she has been, but don't force the poop issue.

Making her clean up her own poop mess? Rinsing her bottom in cold water?? Totally rude. And what a way to make her feel bad about her bodily functions. She's not in boot camp for goodness sake. She's a toddler who deserves a lot more respect that that sort of foolishment.
    Anonymous

• I know your pain! My daughter was in diapers until four; she was tying her shoes and reading long before she was wearing big girl panties.

Anecdotally, gifted children can be much harder to potty train. When Alyssa turned four we just stopped putting her in diapers, put a plastic cover over her mattress, and that was that.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Sorry but at 3 y/o she should be trained! I see no reason why she isn't. Both my dd's were trained at 20 months and it WASN'T hard. I had girls who really didn't talk either. You have a 3 y/o with full vocab I would think who can say yes I need to go no I don't ect... give her potty times wake up potty, 1/2 hour later potty, after breakfast potty. ect...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• http://www.articlesbase.com/parenting-articles/how-to-help-your-child-go-through-toilet-training-resistance-427349.html I hope this helps you find the answers you are looking for. Or you can simply google toilet resistance and there are many sites that help you deal with this issue. Good luck
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Anon 713, you're full of crap. Not all 3 year olds are potty trained, and not all SHOULD be potty trained by then. You're not an expert on child rearing and shouldn't put age limits on potty training, dope.

Gifted children are harder to potty train, so if your daughters were trained by 20 months, then they weren't so bright.
    Anonymous