Okay to miss 18 month check up?

This is my 1st child, he'll be 2 years old at the end of April. I was never right on time with well baby checkups because of insurance problems, but for the 1st year he saw a doctor regularly and got all of his shots. His 16 month checkup turned into a sick baby appt, and then he went back at 17 months for another sick baby appt, both of which I paid out of pocket and couldn't afford to take him back for his 18 month checkup, but since he just went to the dr I figured it'd be ok to wait until 21 months (I thought toddlers had to go every 3 months like infants). The new card just got here a few days ago and I called today for an appt. The receptionist asked when his last dr appt was and I said 17 months. So she says that he doesn't need to come in for a checkup again till 2, so she made an appt for early May. I said he didn't have his shots then, and she said that was ok. So is it ok that he didn't have an 18 month well baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 18 months your son wouldn't have gotten shots unless he was behind in his shots. Don't worry about it since he just had the appointment the month before.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Well he allready missed the 15 month and the 18 month check ups, and will be 2 very soon - so may as well wait - but ideally no baby should go to check ups at the scheduled time.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

This is not true. The AAP had guidelines for shots being given bewteen certainages at this stage. At my office (I work in a peds office) kids get 2 vax at 18 months. It is diff at each ofice.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Since the doctors office wasn't worried then her doctors office probably doesn't do it that way. Every office I have taken my kids too have done all the shots before 18 months so that one wasn't a shots visit.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• My son had shots at his 18 month appointment. I'd take the child if I were you.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• did you realize there is NO have to time for shots. you are not mandated to stick to a schedual.dont worry mama
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2010