CAR SEATS

Has anyone moved up from an infant car seat to a convertible yet? AND where do you have the car seat in the middle or side of the vehicle. I always read to put the car seat in the middle because it is safest but a police officer told me it was safter to not put it in the middle...

kyliegirl28

Asked by kyliegirl28 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 2-yr-old is in a front-facing convertible, and my 11-mo-old is in a rear-facing convertible. My toddler is in the middle.

Rear-facing is the safest way to ride. The middle of the back seat is the safest place. If you have more than one child, though, the least protected should go in the middle, so the forward-facing instead of rear-facing, or booster instead of harnessed, etc.

I don't know why the officer would tell you the middle is not safer, unless he really had no idea what he was talking about (they don't require carseat training in police academy, after all). Everything I've ever read or heard on the subject says that middle is indeed, the safest place.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2010