Online College

Has anyone completed their college degrees through online classes- if so, did you still work while completing the classes and how long did it take you to reach your desired degree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• I am finishing my degree online. I am doing Liberty University's online program. I love it. It has taken me about 2 years to finish up (I graduate this summer). I plan to then go on to get my masters from Northcentral University. It is a for-profit school but it is the only one that offers the degree and specialization I want. More and more people are going to for-profit schools and they are starting to not be looked upon as much.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• OP here: I am interested in University of Phoenix. I have my Associates Degree already from a local junior college, but to complete my Bachelors Degree, I do need to take classes online so I can continue to work. I think this online college is fine because so many people I know completed their higher education through here and have fantastic jobs for fantastic companies. I've never heard of employers in my area turning down people if they got their degree from an online college. I'm more interested in finding out how hard it is to work ft and complete the online courses. I have kids to help support so that's what I wanted to know.
    Anonymous

• I think that if you manage your time wisely it is possible. Online courses take a lot of personal time management skills. You are basically teaching yourself by reading and completing whatever assignments the professor asks you to complete. Sometimes you'll also have to participate in discussion boards. There is a ton of writing in my experience as well. Good luck to you!!!
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 1:58 AM on Mar. 15, 2010