just wondering why some religion believe ?

that woman should only wear dresses and skirts ? why does it matter ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It says somewhere in the Bible that women shouldn't dress as men and vice versa...and many denominations take this to mean that women should ONLY wear dresses because men wear pants. However, I think this is taking it a little far since my husband wouldn't be caught dead in my clothes. Why? Because they are for women. So I think it is something they follow and take slightly farther than necessary since styles change continuously.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• The pentacostal church I went to for awhile belived that 'pants show everything' and women were not supposed to cause their brother to fall into the sin of lust *eyes rolling*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• For me as Jew, it is a modesty thing. When a woman wears pants or other tight fitting clothes, it shows the outline of the body very well and the body should be a special something between man & wife, not for the general public to ogle. Women in appropriately styled skirts, dresses & tops hides the body's curves & shape without compromising the fact that they are female. Men also have a dress code and are expected to not wear revealing clothes, either, so it is a two-way street for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• So if pants reveal the outline of the body - then why are men permitted to wear them? ^^
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Deut 22:5 " A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this."

those groups use this verse to mean women shouldnt wear pants as they are men's clothing. but what cracks me up is that men didnt wear pants when this was written...men wore robes/tunics not pants.

i was raised that this verse means that a woman should look like a woman and a man should look like a man, so that no one is confused as to one's gender. and since i dont know any woman who has been mistaken as a man solely based on pants, i dont see the problem. but to each their own!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• To make it easier for the man to blame a woman when he lusts after her.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:35 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• random thought, most "feminine" things now days (makeup, dresses, skirts, heels) were all invented for a man to wear, not a female..lol as for your original question, i have no idea sorry..but i think you got a few good answers already.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• "it is a modesty thing. "

How is a skirt or dress more modest? I mean, one good gust of wind and WOOSH there's everything!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• "How is a skirt or dress more modest? I mean, one good gust of wind and WOOSH there's everything!"

the Christian university i went to use to have a "females must wear skirts only" rule...until a professor of mine (back in the late 70s) took a buncha pictures of girls skirts being blown up by the famous Oklahoman wind. the rule was changed w/in 2 days of him turning in the pictures...and he was given a stern warning to stop taking pictures.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:31 PM on Mar. 12, 2010

• How is a skirt or dress more modest? I mean, one good gust of wind and WOOSH there's everything!

LOL
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2010