Getting my one year old off the bottle, and into sippy cups?

mama_crystal

Asked by mama_crystal at 11:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just find a sippy cup your lo will drink out of consistently and make the switch. It maybe hard at first but stick to it...eventually your 1 year old won't even care that bottle is gone. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• make a quick switch... finish the formula and get rid of the bottle.. its that simple... go to the store find a good cup... i suggest the graduates sippy cups there are like 3 different colors and they are a perfect size and never leak!

start out with whole milk but as the baby gets older you can give a little watered down fruit juice.. not apple juice there is to much acid .. or vitamin water is good or something like that... its easier then most parents make it seem.. good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Maybe my dd was easy but once the formula was gone the bottle was gone. She never seemed to even notice (and she LOVED her bottle!) It was the best way to put her to bed, so we just started giving her dinner, then reading her a book in place of giving her a bottle. They make sippy cups that will resemble a bottle (straw like). Maybe start with that and lead into actual sippy cups.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• You know what was fun with my son was we took all his bottles and threw them away together one at a time..it was so cute and he was excited about it. We then gave him a sippy cup and it took a few different kinds and about a week before he really drank from it but patience was the key and it worked
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 12:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• i did a slow transition. my son was breastfed and bottlefed. I started by offering my son a sippy cup with meals, then soon also for on-the-go trips. eventually he was fine with a sippy instead of the bottle and he self weaned off of me 3 days after his 1st bday.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:02 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• thank you everyone for the help, i did actually find her a sippy cup she likes but the spout is kind of wierd, well i guess i will keep on it and any more answers would surely help, thank you
    mama_crystal

Answer by mama_crystal at 1:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2010