Breastfeeding... early weaning signs and gulping

What are some signs that your baby may be weaning themselves off of the breast?
Loud gulping a big deal?

Lately, my 6 month +1week old daughter has been very distracted at the breast. If daddy walks by, she will look at him, if she hears a loud noise, she will unlatch to look around. Today really caught my attention because she didn't want to nurse while we were out to eat (though she was really tired, and around the time she would normally eat) she wanted to look around and try to grab food off of my plate or anything else that was near her. She doesnt really get solids often... just on occasion- maybe if I am at school (night classes) and she gets hungry, my husband will give her half a jar of baby food.

Lately, she has been gulping really loud. Im not concerned really, just surprised. She started it up a couple days ago... she gulps loud and makes a lot of noises, almost like she is saying "Mmmm" lol.

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 11:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• her actions as far as being distracted and not nursing when she normally would want to can be a sign.

the gulping, I don't think so. I think she just discovered a new noise to make LOL
    Anonymous

• No! These are absolutely NOT signs of being ready to wean! What you described as your baby's apparent disinterest in breastfeeding is totally *normal* behavior for a baby of her age!!! It does not mean that she is weaning, only that she is more distractible by the outside world, by her new skills (maybe sitting, crawling, using her voice), and also that she has just spent the last six months learning to be very *efficient* at getting the milk that she needs in a shorter amount of time.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• The anon is totally wrong lol. Hate to break it to you. Babies NEVER wean themselves at 6 months. Never. SOME do right before a year, but that number is VERY low. Most babies, when offered the option and mom is not unwittingly discouraging nursing by limiting nursing time or delaying nursing periods will not wean until they are between 3 and 5, and many will nurse until they are 7 ish.

Your daughter is being a normal 6 month old. She is interested in trying the foods you eat, and she is distractable because she is starting to see more of the world and she is probably getting more mobile. Maybe not crawling yet, but she can move by herself better than she ever has been able to. Of course she's not going to want to nurse when you're at a noisy restaurant and you and daddy seem to be enjoying your food so much lol. When kids wean they gradually cut out one session at a time and replace it with solids.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• Thanks so much! I am glad to hear that it doesn't seem like she is trying to self-wean! I love breastfeeding her... its so special! We both love it!
    shannonwooten

Answer by shannonwooten at 11:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• haha cute... thats normal at that age..

the loud gulping and noises is just her enjoying her meal... great job for breastfeeding momma!

As for the distractions they are at the age where they notice more and they are more curious... so if you want a better breast feeding session go somewhere quiet with less distractions and what not and you shouldn't have a problem... at that age they aren't interested in weening.. the breast is all they know
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Your daughter has normal reactions and curiosity.

Keep breastfeeding! It is best for both of you. In three or four months, you can start introducing a sippy cup with water; as time goes on, she will drink more water, eat more foods, and drink less breastmilk.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Sounds like a normal 6 month old to me.. The gulping is just a noise.. The distractibility is just that she is more aware in general... and it's a really good thing that she is more aware. I'd be more concerned if she -wasn't- so aware of her surroundings!

Even if she were refusing the breast for long periods of time at this age? I would think she had an ear infection, was teething, or was on a nursing strike.. NOT that she was weaning. She'd probably pick back up after her issue was resolved or her strike was done. Babies never self-wean this early, and she's not refusing the breast regularly so it's not even an impending nursing strike.

If she spends less time on the breast than before.. that's normal because she's more efficient. Make sure to offer regularly.

Keep doing what you are doing it is best for you both. Good job on not over-doing solids, too, since they are just practice before a year! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• The only weaning sign...is when she has not nursed in a week or more. You won't see it coming, it will merely HAPPEN.

What you describe is normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2010