ds woke with a fever

my ds woke up about an hour ago complaining, so i took his temp and it was 101.3, so i naturally gave him some tylonal and let him lay on the couch for a lil' bit. i tried using a cold wet rag on his head but he flipped out, so i held it there as long as i could, under the arms was a worse reaction. i just rechecked his temp and now it's 103. obviously cuz the docs here are idiots, there's no reason for me to take him in, and they don't have a 24 hour advice nurse. when the clinic closes, it's CLOSED. he's laying in his bed now, i gave him some water which he drank some of, no he's not dehydrated, no other symptoms but the fever. anything else i can do? i know normally kids' fevers go up when they're sleeping but he wasn't sleeping in the past hour that it went up....

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I give my kids a cool bath, just a fraction cooler than you normally would. Just keep giving him tylenol every 4-6 hours, if it hasn't gone down by morning I would call the dr. Sorry, I know how crappy it is to have a baby that's sick. I hope he gets better soon.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2010

• watch it very carefully...if it spikes any higher I would be taking him to the nearest hospital. I live in OK and there is an out break of menegitis right now. Two kids have died from it. :( The biggest sign is a spiking fever with no other signs of illness right now. I'm not trying to scare you, but please be careful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Childrens Motrin breaks the fever much faster than Tylenol. My DD had a fever 2days ago & i gave her motrin it & her fever came right down. Try a warm bath too. Not to hot & not cold.. I hope he fells better my dd had a could.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 1:01 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Cool baths usually work well, also don't let him bundle up under too many blankets. If he won't let you put a rag on his head try the back of his neck or his wrists. They are both major heat points. Also see if you can get him to eat a Popsicle or ice-cream. If it gets any higher go to the doctor immediately.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Remember that tylenol takes 45 minutes or longer to kick in
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2010