What is the best kind of cheese to let a 1 year old eat?

I posted earlier about my son's snack...and I got a lot of responses that I should feed my son cheddar over american cheese? I thought cheddar was not really a good cheese for anyone to eat due to the high content of fat? I am confused now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• fat at that age is good for them... thats why they recommend whole milk
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Yes, the fat is good for brain development during the first 2 to 3 years. Plus American cheese is very high in sodium, which should always be used in moderation at any age. Plus chedder is a much harder cheese and is easier for little ones to pick up and eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• OP: Oh okay...thank you. I was just wondering why so many were suggesting cheddar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Animal fats are not great for anyone. Avocado is a much healther source of fat (and a great toddler snack).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• none - i've always heard it's best to hold off on any kind of dairy as long as possible. I don't think it's good for children. and the fat free stuff can actually be worse because of all the fillers and stuff they put in it to make sure it's fat free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Cheddar isnt the problem, American cheese isnt cheddar, its processed crap. Cheese isnt really a health food to begin with but if you want to give cheese go for natural cheeses.
    Anonymous