my babys temp was 94.4 is that normal?

her temp is usually around 97 98 i heard if its below a certain temp is not good. shes 6 monthes old and i covered her more thinking mabey shes just cold. sorry i am a paranoid mom.

Tbaby61727

Asked by Tbaby61727 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would be takeing that temp again. and making sure that is right. and i would check the battery to see if its low. that is not a good temp. does she feel cool to the touch? if so and the temp is the same then i would be calling the nurse online or going to the doc.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• If you are sure you took the temperature correctly and it was not wrong GO TO THE HOSPITAL NOW! I hope you took it wrong or your thermometer is broken but if it isn't, your baby is seriously ill. I don't want to be harsh or scare you but it is a sign of serious infection or hypothermia. I searched various sites and I copied some of the things they said below. Good luck, I hope your baby is okay!

"The medical condition of hypothermia (low body temperature) is generally accepted as 95°F (35°C) or below. "

"Moderate hypothermia, body temperature between 95 and 93° F: dazed consciousness, loss of fine motor control, slurred speech, violent shivering, irrational behavior ."

"On the other hand, body temperatures that are too low (about 95°) can also be a sign of illness."

"When more heat is lost than your body can generate, hypothermia, defined as an internal body temperature less than 95 F (35 C), can result."
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• You can always test yourself to see if the thermometer is off then retest baby.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• If she's really that cold, put her skin to skin with you wrapped up in several blankets to raise her temperature up and see if that works. It should. Take off your shirt, take off her clothes, put a hat on her, and wrap up in several fluffy blankets together -- your body heat will warm her.. You drink some warm (not hot) drinks while you do this.. Turn up the heat in the house, too. If this does not work you should heat up your car and put her in her light coat, hat, and put her in the car.. and cover her with a couple blankets not over her face of course and go to the hospital.

I'd take your own temp to make sure the thermometer is not off.

A light case of hypothermia should be treated at home with body heat and skin to skin contact - it'll work just as good as hospital warming blankets and warm fluids at 95 degrees. If the temperature were lower I'd recommend different.

If it doesn't work she's ill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2010

• Make sure you took her temp right. If you did go to the ER and be sure to cover her with a warm blanket on the way there.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2010